keep me from killing him!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keep me from killing him!

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Defaultkeep me from killing him!

>* >* >* >

So, Toby got to go to the dog park Thursday evening, Friday morning, and Saturday afternoon.* Oh, and daycare Tuesday.* This morning, he got a long walk (1.8 miles) and a long game of fetch (30 minutes).* Lots of attention, lots of playing.* A tired lab is a good lab, right?* Wrong!

We went to the football game today, left the house at 11 AM, back at 3:15.* What did he do?* Smash apart my new orchid pot and strew the contents (plant, potting medium, etc.) everywhere.* I mean everywhere.* The pot was in about a thousand pieces, the plant in slightly fewer.* Chewed the roots off the plant so that it is most likely beyond salvage.* This is the second one he's taken out.* The last one was in May.* He leaves all my other plants alone, even the other orchids.* But this is two in a row of the same, expensive, kind and I was about ready to throttle him.* I just got it for myself as a "congratulations on starting a new job" present.* The other one was my Dog-Mom's day present.* That hurts.

His Daddy REFUSES to crate him anymore.* I was completely ready to rush out to the store and get a bigger crate (his old one really is to small).* I feel that he got freedom and unsupervised time too early but he has generally been good.* Problem is, when he's bad, he's really really bad, and we don't seem to know when to predict when that might randomly occur.* Toby's 10 months old.* Normally really good about not destroying things.* I can be somewhat philosophical about OK, I guess I can't have that kind of orchid anymore - I'm a bit of a hobbiest with orchids and bonsai for in the house, and a reasonably serious gardner outside - but this systematic destruction of MY things and expensive ones at that is getting tough to take.* I've been arguing that we need to re-crate him for some time now, but Mark will not hear it.* And I don't know how we'll work out a compromise about the crating issue, I want him back in, Mark categorically and unequivocally wants him out for some reason.* We might be able to reach agreement about confining him to a bathroom, but I'm afraid he'll chew through the doors and really do some damage to the house.

Right now, they're both out on a walk, giving me a little breathing space and time to re-center.

Sorry, just needed to vent.* It could have been worse, I know.* *:* But boy was I ever mad...
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: keep me from killing him!

We all get mad with our dogs sometimes. I get mad at mine every day for some not so important as yours things! But when they look at us with their little eyes we can't be mad at them for long

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

aww, I can imagine how you feel. Especially since you obviously exercise Toby quite a bit.
    I think you are right about going back to crated while you can't watch him but if Mark won't have it..baby gates.
    You are also right that he may chew the walls and doors instead.
    I hope you can find a solution you all can live with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Don't get mad at the dog. Get mad at his Daddy. Any dog that is going to possibly be destructive at all needs to be in a crate when you can't supervise them.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

The crate is the only way to give yourself piece of mind while he isn't be supervised. Remember free roam is a privilege and not a right of passage. You guys provide him a good amount of exercise so he will likely sleep while he is being crated. I know, it sucks to crate them and leave them but it sure beats him getting into something else that could really harm him like an electric cord God forbid. Good luck.

Ohhhhh...then his Daddy would be cleaning the mess and shelling out the dough to replace everything!!!

Cant you talk him into a crate? Try to convince him it's safer..which it is. If he had gotten something toxic, or bad for him it would be more than just
    a mess. I totally agree with you and the whole crate thing.
    And dont feel bad we all need to re-center from time to time. You need a break!
    Sorry he ruined your moms day gift too. Guess you cant replace that one.

I noticed Zora would be destructive when we left, not out of boredom, but because she was upset we left her. That's a better way to look at it. He must really love you!!!!

Toby's punishment should be Dad should have to stay home and supervise him until he shells out the money for a new crate.
    Olie

Rob and I go through the same thing. He thinks Lexie should have free roam, I think she still needs to be crated when we're not home to supervise. She always seems to destroy my handywork (gardening, etc.). :-\ I finally put it in terms that Rob could appreciate "how would you feel if I left her alone with the door open to your restored 68 Mustang?" We're kind of seeing eye to eye again.

Breath.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I know how horrible it is to fine something treasured detroyed. Or not so treasured. here are times I have come close to doing Erns some serious bodily harm. The crate is the best thing invented.

You will love him again in a few hours.

I am sorry your plant is ruined.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast