keep me from killing him! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: keep me from killing him!

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: keep me from killing him!

Thanks, everyone. I really just needed to vent a little. In the bigger picture, it wasn't such a big deal.

We just got back from the garden shop, where Toby's Dad bought me a replacement orchid (different variety this time though!). And a nice new watering can as a bonus. We also went to PetSmart, where we unfortunately couldn't come to agreement about a new larger crate, which I was more than willing to pay for. But we did compromise that Toby will be confined to a single room that is as puppy-proofed as possible while we're gone. And if he chews the doors or walls, we'll purchase another crate and I have full rights to say "I told you so".

So my relationship with both of my Boys is salvaged. :-*

And somehow, Toby came out of the deal with a new kong (OK, it was so we could have enough to stuff and freeze to keep him occupied, he is now up to 4), a new toy, and several bags of treats. : I guess my main consolation is that Mark's bank account took quite the hit... He really is a good guy. And Toby really is a good dog. I really do count myself luck, 99.99% of the time.

Breathe...
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by putertutor
    We're kind of seeing eye to eye again.*

Breath.*
    Very smart!

be careful about using a bathroom for a dog room.
    many bathrooms these days uses non-metal plumbing material to connect the water supply to sinks and toilets, meaning you could come home to some serious water damage should non-metal plumbing parts get chewed away. also toilet seats and tank covers are not that hard to open, particularily for bored labs with plenty of time on their paws.

a dog crate is the way to go, IMHO.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I agree about the bathroom.
    A lab owner told me her lab (older, more matured and should "know" better) chewed the pipe behind the toilet. This lab is a champion agility dog in CA, and yet she did this. Please be careful.

I would crate. Zoe did not get priviledges till 2-1/2.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

MrP

i may be missing something...but how much exercise does your lab get? we walk ellie once early at about 5:15 a.m. for 1 and 1/2 miles, brisk pace...she gets another 2 mile walk with our other dog later in the morning. she also gets a 1 and 1/2 evening walk before or after our dinner. and, i bet she could go more...

i can't wait till she hits one year in 6 more months, so i can go jogging with her. all the exercise we give her, together with her tempermant keeps her very lowkey for a lab...

good luck. i agree with the posters about the crating...our personal trainer says if you can't be there to watch them, crate them for the first year or so until you have a track record of non destruction....

[attachment deleted by admin]

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback.

He gets lots of exercise. Morning walk (1 mile), mid-day walk (about the same) plus 15 - 20 minutes of fetch at lunchtime, evening walk and/or fetch (45 minutes to an hour combined activities). He goes to doggie daycare once a week all day, where he plays and romps. We take him to the dog park at least two days of each weekend (we have alternate Fridays off, so he always has someone), sometimes all 3 days. And if he doesn't go to the dog park on a weekend day, we make sure that he goes everywhere he can with us during the day and evening and gets at least as much exercise as a normal weekday if not more. I also try to make sure that I work on his commands constantly and teach him new things to keep his mind busy.

In general, he honestly is very good. And when he's gone on one of his rare destructive rampages, it's never been anything more expensive than a book. Or an orchid. Though the messes he HAS made have been pretty spectacular. I consider myself very fortunate that he's not gone for furniture, rugs, or the house in general.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bathroom. The bathroom we'd consider closing him in has the toilet in a separate "room" with a door, and the plumbing for the sinks is all behind heavy vanities that I'd make sure were closed in a way he couldn't open. But I have serious misgivings about the bathroom anyway, since the master closet is attached so if he changed tactics and decided to start chewing doors, he could get in there and do some serious damage: shoes, clothing, handbags, etc. We're going to try the spare bedroom tomorrow, plus a frozen kong and most of his toys (all of which he always has access to anyway). I'm definitely still in favor of crating, but my SO won't hear of it right now. We're in a classic impasse on that issue. I've used the "what if he got into something dangerous" argument, but the answer to that was doing a serious all-out hazard hunt in the house and puppy-proofing it as much as possible, which was very effective (of course, there are always some hazards, but things like power cords, poisons, medicines, food, choking hazards, etc. have been eliminated as near as possible). So in the interests of the relationship - which I consider far more important than a plant, even a cherished, rare one - I am waiting on pushing the crate again. We'll see.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I am glad it all worked out in the end :-*

I do want to mention something, though...

I did a lot of research on what plants are toxic when we acquired "The Herbivore," aka Angus. I am a gardener too...or I was. I had to completely de-landscape the backyard. The boys have been kind enough to remove the grass for me, so now I don't have to worry about plant material in any form. Sweet. :

Anyway, I remember "flagging" orchids in my head. Not 100% sure that they are toxic, but I think I placed them high up on the window sill behind the kitchen sink for a reason. I used to have lots of plants in our kitchen, and the only thing that made the cut as definitely non-toxic was an African violet. So it is down on a table. Everything else is now either far out of reach or at my mom's house.

Well, obviously, he's made it through two of them. :-\ But you may want to check into it. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Keep in mind, some just need more exercise. Kimba is 15 months, he is walked 1 hr in am and 1 hr at night or a 1.5 hour trip walking to dog park, playing and then home in evening...he still can be rambunctious after all that. Kimba is still crated when we are gone and does just fine. I don't feel bad at all bc I would rather a safe dog.
    I would say ,unfortunately, Toby needs even MORE exercise...I know a one mile walk for Kimba is NOTHING...For example, he played an hour and half at dog park y-day, looked exhausted, came home and STILL we caught him chewing our dresser in the bedroom!!!!
    Just curious why Mark is so ANTI crating? I know Kimba actually likes to be in his crate and often times goes to sleep or lay in there when he is tired. It is safe haven...one time he got stung by wasps and when we got home he ran right into his crate bc I think he felt safest in there.

Riley is one month older than your pup and I can't imagine giving him the run of the house! We crate him every time we leave. We learned a big lesson with our first lab, Casey, before crates were really used. We confined Casey to the kitchen while we were at work. We came home one day to find she ruined the kitchen floor (pulled the floor up), all our kitchen towels (yes she got the cabinets open), and one of our dining chairs. We were renting at the time so we had to replace the floor when we moved out. It was a very costly lesson in what a bored lab can do. As she got older and calmed down we kept Casey in the laundry room when we left. I know each lab is different but Riley is a stinker and he wouldn't do well with the run of the house. It is good that you found a way to compromise but you have a time bomb waiting to go off in that room. Next time you may not get off so cheaply. This is just my oppinion because I've been there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12