Kaycie update....gentle leader miracle

Thread: Kaycie update....gentle leader miracle

DefaultKaycie update....gentle leader miracle

Is your dog pulling like crazy? Been land Skiing a couple times? GET THE GENTLE LEADER, it's a miracle. My 6 1/2 month old Kaycie pulls like crazy. I was fed up after our walk yesterday. So last night I drove our little butts to Petsmart, parked the car and bought ours. Ok so it's a little confusing to put on, and of course they hate it. But man does mom love it. She pays attention to me, and I dont have to worry about being dragged across the lawn when she see's a squirrel or a bug lol. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it sure works for us. Even when she's not on the leash, and has it on, she is much more behaved. She sits when I stop walking without even telling her. Instead of chewing the couch, she lays down. lol NOW I CAN ACTUALLY WEAR HER OUT lol ;D Ok so we had it for about 3 hours and she killed it. My mistake left the collar part on her neck and took the "nosey" part off. Of course she chewed the "lock" to hell and back. Thank god for more in stock. Best 50 bucks (since i had to buy 2 lol) I've ever spent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Kaycie update....gentle leader miracle

I've heard GREAT things about this. A friends mom who is a lab breeder suggested this many times if you have trouble with pulling. She explains that its not cruel, its the same things they use on horses (just not so big hehe). So are you using it in the house too? I wasn't sure when you said "instead of chewing the couch, she lays down"

We just came back from a walk, so i just loosen the "nosey" part so it loops back behind her ears like the neck strap. I'm trying to get her adjusted to it, so i'll have her wear it for a while, then we'll take a break. Any time we go outside we put it on, whether it's to potty or to walk. I used to hate walking, and today we've walked twice already. I love it, and don't think it cruel at all. Where ever the nose goes, the body goes. It doesn't hurt, just reminds them, "hey stick back here by me". We start puppy classes this Monday, so I know it will help alot. Her whole attitude changes when she's got the leader on, from devil to angel in a "click"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I swear by them. Great for training a dog. I use the halti as it stays on better.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

We tried putting the Halti on Kaycie and she was like SCREW this, and wouldn't let me get near her lol. Yah first time she was mean to me and groaned at me lol. It's still a struggle to get the leader on, but much much easier. And it doesn't make her mad at me lol.

I've used both the haltie and the gentle leader - and they really are great Right now I'm using a gentle leader because my sister had one in Chance's size that she wasn't using. It was a great training tool, and now I don't need it for every walk! Once in a while I'll have it with me in case there are some squirrel distractions...

Dani is offline Senior Member

Make sure that you train them off of it. It's a training tool...not a bandaid forever.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

heya Dani, We're in classes now learning to walk with out the leader. We have a 3lb Min Pin in our class. Kaycie's like 42 lol. It's times like these when i'm thankful for the leader.