Uh-oh! I just snapped at my heart dog and I feel like a jerk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh! I just snapped at my heart dog and I feel like a jerk

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultUh-oh! I just snapped at my heart dog and I feel like a jerk

All the dogs just finished eating. DH and I have been cleaning and readying the house for our guests for the past two days. I did retrieves with the boys an hour ago to get some of their energy out. DH is tired, I'm tired, we have to go to the airport at 8:30 to pick up guests and we are just a teeny bit stressed.

Seamus comes in just a wig-wagging to beat the band, "Let's do more retrieves, momma! My dinner has gone down now. Whatcha say, mom? Come on come on come on come on!!!"

Not now, Shea.

wig-wag

Lay down now, my baby.

WIG-WAG

SEAMUS! Just lay down by me for now!" >

He did. Obediently and without pouting and now I feel like a creep.

Please tell me some of you have done something like this before. Please?

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Uh-oh! I just snapped at my heart dog and I feel like a jerk

Nance, I do it all the time. Buddy is not happy if he isn't retrieving. All he wants to do is go out and retrieve. Sometimes he just doesn't take no for an answer unless I raise my voice at him. I feel if he had listened in the first place, I wouldn't have had to raise my voice.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Thanks Monnie. I'd rather rip my heart out than hurt that good dog's feelings. :'(
    (I know, I know... they don't have feelings, per se, but you know what I mean.)

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

Oh yeah, I've done it, too. More than once and to more than one dog. Sometimes those needy, begging eyes just get to be too much and I lose it. But somehow the dogs always find it in their hearts to forgive me. They're much better people than I'll ever be!*

modgirlreporter Guest

Of course dogs have feelings. They can love and be happy and be hurt and angry and embarrassed and puzzled. I snap at mine sometimes, too, but they always readily forgive me.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Yep, Nance. Totally. Don't feel bad for too long. He will forgive you the second you throw a ball for him. They always do. My worst time was yelling at Yeller just after Jordan died. I think I told her to go lie down rather harshly and the look she gave me was heart wrenching. She only wanted to cuddle or something, I can't remember now, but I clearly hurt her feelings pretty bad by pushing her away when I did.

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Oh my goodness, Nance ... I'd love for you and your pups to come stay with us and retrieve to their hearts content. However ... I don't think I'd want you to see some of our training regimens.

You must believe me when I tell you that I LOVE Cappy and Remi. I don't mean that I like them; or I have feelings for them; or I care a great deal about them and their well being. I mean I LOVE those dawgs like children and they are my kindered spirits. However, when it comes to performing their JOBS, or complying with basic OB commands in and around the house ... I ask only ONE time. Then they get more than a raised voice from me. It's swift and undoubtedly harsh in most people's eyes. A brisk flank swat with the riding crop and all is totally back into proper balance once again.

That reminds me of a classic that I've never shared here. When Remi was just a little over a year old, she was out in the drive with me learning to mount and dismount from the ATV bed ... and not do either unless or until I gave the command to do so. Cappy was sitting up in the bed and observing the entire process. Apparently the exasperation in my voice was growing and after a verbally correcting Remi with stern "NOs" 3 or 4 times for moving before I released her, I noticed Cappy up and moving around in the back of the ATV rather than remaining at SIT where I had placed him 10 minutes earlier. I glanced over at him and was about to give him a correction when I stopped in my mid Cap___. He had picked up the riding crop from it's holder in the back and was holding it for me! I guess he figured that Remi had one too many corrections and HE never got that many chances so why should she?

I hugged them both together and laughed as a couple of happy tears ran down my cheeks. These durn dawgs really are something else, aren't they.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe's had her share, Nance.
    Her command is "chill" or "settle" depending on what she's doing. If she doesn't, I get her by the collar and put her in a down.

I can't have a crazy nut doing stupid things. LOL
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

OMG, Jim! Now that made me laugh! That Cappy... oh what a guy. Oh that is priceless!
    Thanks for that. And I fully realize the depth of your true love for him and Remi. I truly do.

Seamus and Flynn

ILoveBuddy is offline Senior Member

Been there....done that, it does make me feel bad too :'(

Extra love and tons of treats to make up when time allows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast