Outraged by new vet!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outraged by new vet!

DefaultOutraged by new vet!

So i took Toby to a new vet today because my old one has been charging me an arm and a leg. I guess I should have taken into consideration that sometimes cheaper service means lower quality....and I"M SOOOOO ANGRY RIGHT NOW! This man has screwed up my entire morning. And the story goes like this (i'll try to make it short).

I liked the way the first two assistants handled Toby, it seemed they really enjoyed their jobs. They were kind to Toby and of course he loves human attention so he was extra excited to meet these new people. The second one had to take his temperature (through the butt) and he did not like that. So they took him in the back room to do it "properly" I DID NOT LIKE THIS. Then they bring him in again and he has this wild look in his eye and he keeps yelping (not barking) at the door to be let out. Finally the vet comes in with the assistant and they get him on the table. One holds his head and the other one holds the rear checking all his organs and such. They take a swab to check for infections in his ear and he SCRRRRRRREEEAMMMS bloody murder. The vet continues to prod at his ear and he is in visable pain. Then the other ear.... Then he goes to check his teeth. Toby resists a little and tries to pull his head back. The vet grabs his head and looks him straight in the eye and says "NO BITE!" then he grabs his jaw very tight and tries to squeeze it open. By the way I'm standing RIGHT THERE looking directly at Toby's face and I know my dog and I know when he is distressed. The vet suddenly ceases all activity, presses the button to lower the table and says "Thats it we're not doing this anymore. you need to find your dog a good training school and socialize him. He tried to bite me and I could have charged you 50 extra bucks. He could become aggressive to other humans if he continues this attitude." My cheeks are whiiiiiitttte hot and I stand up for my dog and I. I told him he has been to puppy training school and has had plenty of socialization. I was standing right there and I saw no such activity. He was scared because you weren't giving him a chance to realize what was going on. He then goes "well when you get a dog from the SPCA they tend to act like that, you should seek training immediately." SPCA? SPCA? Where the hell did he get that? i told him he must have my dog mistaken with another because I did not adopt him from the SPCA (not that ,that is a bad thing). He simply looked at me and said I'm going to get these swabs under the microscope. The assistant is quiet the whole time and I look at him to get some explanation. He apologizes and says "we have had biting occur in many dogs" and i go "maybe its not the dog, maybe its your vet." He walks out. I guess the assistant felt bad so he gave me free dog food and a break down of what i REALLY needed to buy. I refused to pay for the visit (since it wasn't a complete one anyway) and after 30 min of explaining my reasons i finally get my way.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Am I right to think like this? Because I tottally think I am. Toby is not a bad dog at ALL he loves humans and my previous vet was able to do all these things smoothly and without resistance.

Thats the last time I'm going there....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Outraged by new vet!

sorry I needed to vent a little

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

A good vet should know how to gently handle dogs during an exam. I don't like the idea of taking the dog in another room to get a temperature. I am always with my dog during an exam, with both hands on the dog to comfort them. When the vet sees me with a firm hold on the dog's head, he/she knows he won't get bit.
    I hope you find a good vet for Toby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

OH wow, I certainly would never go back there again!

It really sounds like there were too many hands probing him at once without any time for him to see what was going (like you said). My vet gives treats left and ride and lots of pets (as do the vet techs) to ensure the dog is in a good state of mind and he's an adult!

Sorry you had such a bad morning. Hopefully things go better for the rest of your day!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, I actually would have been excessively vocal. You can and should report your vet to the AMVMA and to the better business bureau. There is another place where you can search to see if there has been any claims made against the vet...but I can't find where I bookmarked that.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Why in the world would they take him to another room to get his temperature?!? Why would the vet be so hard with his ears?

Mine takes a lot of time, petting, talking to mine, showing him each instrument to let him smell as long as he wants before doing anything. One other thing...some dogs do better if they're held tight for exams, others do better just loose, or held looser. Tucker's one that's better held looser; the vet saw that from the start. Whoever said vets should know how to handle all dogs is right.

What a lousy experience for you and Toby

I think I'd do as Dani suggested...report this.

Kathryn Guest

I wouldnt have stood there and watched. I would have picked my puppy up and left. I wouldnt have paid for ANY of the bill at all. I trust my dog before a human. That THAT HUMAN was wrong to treat your puppy like that.
    I agree report him!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

ok wow! I would not go back there! Vet's are supposed to know how to handle animals gently. Especially a puppy.
    I am even allowed to go to the "back room" if they have to take him there for something. Usually it's for an xray and the large weighing scale is back there or for getting a poop sample. Never for a temp!
    First time we were there he spent about 20-25 mins just playing with Buck and literally rolling on the floor with him so he'd be comfortable around him and I was not charged extra for it either. Buck looves going to the vet now. He goes absolutely nuts when he sees his vet. His whole body wags!

Definitely do not go back to that vet. Poor little Toby...I hope he was not terribly traumatized by the whole incident.
    I hope you find a good vet soon...and report that other vet!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Thanks for all the advice. I think i will report him. There was no need for this event. I'm going to ask around my friends and family to see where a good vet might be. I just still can't shake what happened today. Out of all my animals and all my vet experiences I have never ONCE had something like this happened. Toby seems to be doing ok but he sure seems more subdued then usually. Lots of play and love for will be unfolding today!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Unbelievalbe. I would have been horrified too.

Find someone else.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast