Leash Pulling

Thread: Leash Pulling

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeash Pulling

When Tal is on leash he pulls a lot, especially when he needs to potty badly. Once he goes he is usually pretty good about not pulling but when he sees the cat or a dead leaf..lol..here we go. I do the tree thing and it works but before he settles he will choke just a bit because the leash has no slack in it. That concerns me and I was wondering what you guys do or did about that. Or even if it is something I should be concerned about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Leash Pulling

oh my goodness, Kaycie gags herself all the time. I hate going into Petsmart without the harness, just for the simple fact that people look at me crazy when she's hackin and coughing trying to get to "the bones". The only way she stops, is to put one in her mouth lol.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

No, this is not something to be concerned about. Puppies have to be taught how to behave when on the leash. He is too young for any training tool (harness, Gentle Leader, Halti, etc.) so try luring him to your side with a tasty treat or his favourite toy. Begin the foundations of teaching the 'HEEL' command --he is never too young for this. Keep sessions short and offer lots of praise for good behavior. If he pulls towards a cat or something, stop immediately, bring him back to your side, make him 'SIT' and heel him past. Praise and reward is the key success to leash training.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Trickster is right in suggesting training him now while he is small. Just wait 'til he is 50 pounds pulling you. Labs are very strong and energetic.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    No, this is not something to be concerned about. Puppies have to be taught how to behave when on the leash. He is too young for any training tool (harness, Gentle Leader, Halti, etc.) so try luring him to your side with a tasty treat or his favourite toy. Begin the foundations of teaching the 'HEEL' command --he is never too young for this. Keep sessions short and offer lots of praise for good behavior. If he pulls towards a cat or something, stop immediately, bring him back to your side, make him 'SIT' and heel him past. Praise and reward is the key success to leash training.
    Thanks for the suggestions! You guys confirmed what my instinct was but being new at this I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. When I was at Petco yesterday I saw the Gentle Leader and thought about it but decided against it because he is only 10 weeks (Monday) plus I have only in the last few days started to try and teach him how to behave on leash.