Why is it that...

Thread: Why is it that...

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy is it that...

When they have a collection of chew toys, they still want to chew your hand and feet? When Tal starts this I try and give him another chew toy and that works for about 2 sec. Then he tries to find my fingers even tho I have them hidden behind my back, in pockets, etc. I stand up to ignore him and he starts nipping at my heels…I then just calmly put him in his crate.

I want to leave him out while I am at home but I bet he will just nip at my feet. If he starts to chew on the bedding or a piece of furniture (finally discovered the couch and coffee table) he’s easy to redirect. I am going to try a little more exercise. I had to get a new leash and collar yesterday since his collar now is just about too small at full size. I got a 6 foot leash so I can throw the ball with him. I’m hoping that helps..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why is it that...

Puppies have the attention span of a gnat. YOU are way more exciting than a chew toy. If he is bugging you, he probably wants to play. Take him out into your yard and play for 5 minutes. Then put him away in his crate for a cool down period. After he has burned some puppy energy, THEN try giving him something nice to chew.

I think it was Laura who posted a while back how she gets her pups to stop this that imitates how the mom disciplines them when they nip her. You might want to start a post and ask her or PM her. I remember thinking I wish I knew this when Cinnamon was little. My poor father was her favorite chew toy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

This was the advice that Laura/Labby posted:

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Mostly the puppy sees everyone as its littermates. What do littermates do? Bite each other, sometimes unmercifully.

If there are kids involved, its worse since kids squeal. That usually sends the puppy into a biting frenzy.

What I tell my puppy people to do is "bite" back. I've done the "OUCH" and all the other goodies and none of them work as well.

Its hard to describe, but I pinch the puppy's nose when it bites me. I grab hold of the nose between my index and middle finger and pinch hard enough that the puppy squeals a bit. As I am doing this, I say very low and growly "NO BITE". The pup is getting "bit" by the bigger/alpha dog. Usually they will attempt to bite one more time, within seconds of them getting "bit". They get bit again for their efforts.

It doesn't take many times of getting "bit" before they figure it out and stop.
    I used above method and it does work, every now and then I still have to do it, but for the most part Lexie has stopped.

I used to also work on basic commands with Lex when she got nippy. She was very food motivated so when she would get excited I would pull out the treats and work with her on sit, down, shake, etc. It saved my arms and redirected her energy to something positive.

I am soooo not quick enough to get pinch his nose when he is nippy.(and when I did manage it just makes him crazy instead of playful) I was doing the "ouch" (kinda loud) and telling him no bite. Now I am "yipping" I say ouch but in a high puppy bark tone with no bite and it is working much better.* *Gannon was complimented on his "soft mouth" from the vet the other day, he is pretty gentle now unless he is in that crazed upset mode we chatted about the other day.

I found with Gannon (might work wit Tal) that having his large stuffed animal next to us when we play is the best thing in the world. All the chew toys dont work for him. When we are playing he is of course rolling onto his back and nipping, or while he enjoys a good belly rub he wants to chew on something, so I have that right next to his head and he turns and bites at it not me.... The other chew toys just fall out of his mouth or off to the side but this one is so large he can always grab it....... plus the arms and legs and tail are just the right size for his little mouth. He LOVES it and plays with it more than anything.... You might want to try picking up a large stuffed toy at a second hand store or yard sale and giving it a try (no use spending $30) just pull hard at the seams before you buy......

He also uses it for a pillow

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I wish I knew the answer. Sounds like Angus when he was a puppy. The best I can offer is patience, patience patience. It takes a WORLD of it. Keep redirecting...it will eventually sink in. Not in a week, not in a month, maybe not in six months! But believe me, it will.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I used to also work on basic commands with Lex when she got nippy. She was very food motivated so when she would get excited I would pull out the treats and work with her on sit, down, shake, etc. It saved my arms and redirected her energy to something positive.
    Yes!! Us too. We trained almost non-stop those first few months! It was the only time Angus would be "good."

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Yes!! Us too. We trained almost non-stop those first few months! It was the only time Angus would be "good."
    I wish there was a nodding head icon.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Try putting a little bit of peanut butter on your hand/foot. They may learn to lick rather than bite. Didn't try it w/Zoe because by the time we got this advice from our trainer/behaviorist, Zoe was done w/her biting phase.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

These are great ideas...I am going to try them. I just brought him in from playing and he is sound asleep...I'm putting it in another post. But these others are worth trying also. I tried the method Laurau suggested but I don't think I am fast enough. I also think I was doing it wrong cause he never yelped and seemed more annoyed than anything..I am gonna keep trying it tho cause nothing else worked.