What age was your lab when...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What age was your lab when...

DefaultWhat age was your lab when...

... he finally learned that he has to pee/poop in the parc and not in the house? And how did you teach him to do that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultRe: What age was your lab when...

Mine was good about 12 weeks, but he still makes a mistake here and there.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I got Brigetta when she was 14 weeks...she wasn't house broken. I used bell training and she picked it up pretty quick. I just got in the habit of taking her out every hour, whenever she woke up or was playing a lot, I would touch her nose to the bells on the door and say "potty"- before long she was touching the bells herself. Of course she still had a couple of accidents here and there- but they were mostly my fault. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

The bell is the best thing I ever tried...or was. I hate it now. Tossed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mybabymambo
    The bell is the best thing I ever tried...or was. I hate it now. Tossed it.
    Why? ???

Mybabymambo Guest

He did great with it and it was cool for the first few months. But now he takes advantage of the bell. He rings it when I am ignoring him. Or if he just wants toplay (which is all day) If I am trying to watch tv or do work, he will sit at the door and ring it constantly.

Or he will go out and play and Imake him come in. He will keep ringing it to go backout. But I can tell you he know knows to make a noise to go out. Now he paws the door and kinda knocks on it.

So its a great thing to teach them and it was really easy. Good luck

We crate trained Dakota from day one.. We took her out every 2 hours for the first two months. And as she got older we increased the hours.. I'm proud to admit that my Dakota has never had a accident in her crate or the house.. When she needs to go potty she just sits by the door..

ThatsMyGirl Guest

It's different w/ every dog. Sami made the connection really fast -- within a week of us having her she ran to the door for the first time (she was 9 1/2 weeks old). Of course, she still had accidents after that -- most of which were my fault (not seeing her sitting at the door). I did (and do) use bells and find it to be amazingly effective. Especially since Sami won't bark or whine or anything else.

Just a reminder -- make sure that you praise to high heavens when your puppy goes ... and give a reward. Also, it will also come in handy later on if you teach a potty command, such as "go potty". Use this catch phrase when they are going and then praise them saying "good go potty" (or whatever your word is). Pretty soon you'll have your dog going to the bathroom on command, which is really pretty cool!

Good luck. Just remember that consistency on your part is key!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have had Tal for three weeks now and within the first week he knew how to bark so I would take him outside. He was right at 7 weeks and will be 10 weeks Monday.

I haven't had to use the bell 'cause he goes to the door and depending on how badly he needs to go will either just sit there or he will paw at it. If he is in his crate he uses a particular bark when he needs to go. If he's just being whiny and wants attention he'll whine a minute or so intermittently until he realizes he isn't getting his way. I also took him out the same door each time and now if we are at the kitchen door he does the same thing. Not there yet on going on command but we do know not to go in the house!

He's had a few accidents, but like others said, I wasn't paying attention or ignored his communication.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    I have had Tal for three weeks now and within the first week he knew how to bark so I would take him outside. He was right at 7 weeks and will be 10 weeks Monday.

I haven't had to use the bell 'cause he goes to the door and depending on how badly he needs to go will either just sit there or he will paw at it. If he is in his crate he uses a particular bark when he needs to go. If he's just being whiny and wants attention he'll whine a minute or so intermittently until he realizes he isn't getting his way. I also took him out the same door each time and now if we are at the kitchen door he does the same thing. Not there yet on going on command but we do know not to go in the house!

He's had a few accidents, but like others said, I wasn't paying attention or ignored his communication.
    That's terrific! I'm so happy to hear that it's going so well for you and Tal. Keep up w/ the potty commands, it just comes w/ time. I'm amazed at how they learn words just from us saying them over and over. I learned this week that Sami knows the difference in the words "upstairs" and "downstairs" -- not because it's a command, but just because I would use them in conversation with her.

Also, good point about using the same door. That does help, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast