What age was your lab when... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What age was your lab when...

DefaultRe: What age was your lab when...

MyBabyMambo,

Cooper did the EXACT same thing. He caught on to the bell ringing within about a day (I was so impressed!) but after about a week, it was "ding" every 15 minutes or so. As soon as I parked my butt in a chair to watch the tube or read (or to go to justlabs.com!), the bell would ring. He quickly realized that by ringing the bell, I'd jump up and we'd go outside. Too smart, these Labs. I ditched the bell about a year ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Miska
    We crate trained Dakota from day one.. We took her out every 2 hours for the first two months. And as she got older we increased the hours.. I'm proud to admit that my Dakota has never had a accident in her crate or the house.. When she needs to go potty she just sits by the door..

Good girl Dakota..Wish you would have a talk with Mambo.

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy McCracken
    MyBabyMambo,

Cooper did the EXACT same thing.* He caught on to the bell ringing within about a day (I was so impressed!) but after about a week, it was "ding" every 15 minutes or so.* As soon as I parked my butt in a chair to watch the tube or read (or to go to justlabs.com!), the bell would ring.* He quickly realized that by ringing the bell, I'd jump up and we'd go outside.* Too smart, these Labs.* I ditched the bell about a year ago.
    My BF said there was no way I could teach him to do it. It was really easy. He was eager to learn..I would tell him Mambo hit the bell, he didn't believe me , Mambo wouldnt do when he was home. I remember the day he called and told me he did it. He was such a proud daddy. He hates the bell too now.. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

He did great with it and it was cool for the first few months. But now he takes advantage of the bell. He rings it when I am ignoring him. Or if he just wants toplay (which is all day) If I am trying to watch tv or do work, he will sit at the door and ring it constantly.

Or he will go out and play and Imake him come in. He will keep ringing it to go backout. But I can tell you he know knows to make a noise to go out. Now he paws the door and kinda knocks on it.
    I did the bell thing. There was a period where he totally took advantage of it (see a squirrel in the yard - ring the bell!) but now at 5 years old, he's over it. Now I'm back to being glad we did the bell thing.

10 Weeks
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My dogs also caught on very quickly, probably due to our strict routine in the first month or so. I would say they started alerting to go out at around 11-12 weeks --maybe even before. I don't remember exactly. We had very few accidents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12