asking urgently for your advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asking urgently for your advice

Defaultasking urgently for your advice

well, we took Malka to the vet yesterday. She has the "happy tail " problem....just at the end of the tail, is bleeding against the walls...because of her happiness. They cut her hair there and put on the tail a spray and some kind of bandage (a blue autoadhesive one). Malka didn´t notice. But vet said that if she goes on with that bleeding...maybe they have to cut her tail.Just as an extreme decision but maybe....Maybe she saw my face, because she began to explain...but I am so sad. I cannot believe that due to her "happiness" she has to have her tail cut....on the other hand, someone here told me yesterday to have her tail moistuirezed. And I thought of the cream we use after milk the cows not to damage the ubres...what do you think of that?? any advice is welcome....thank you for being there...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: asking urgently for your advice

OH I hope she heals fast... I don't know what I'd do if I had to keep Ender from whacking his tail on stuff. I guess I'd just make sure it's extra padded so she can't hurt the tail while it's healing.
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

Abby, our current foster dog has the same problem. She painted my walls on Wednesday. No worries...she's on antibiotics and we make sure the bandage stays on. As long as it heals, there shouldn't be a need for cutting the tail.

Keep the faith...no biggie.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I used to have a page bookmarked with a picture of a dog bandaged in such a way that it couldn't wag its tail and reinjure it..

Basically, the tail was curved in, laying against the hip/torso and then bandaged in place. You may want to ask your vet if that would be a suitable solution for Malka.

Caseys Mom Guest

Poor Malka!*
    I think this is probably what kaytris is talking about:
    http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...ing_a_tail.htm
    You might want to print it out and have your vet take a look and see if she thinks it would help.

Katy Guest

That diagram looks like it makes sense, but how would the dog go to the bathroom? I guess only leave it on while in the house...

We've had several dogs in rescue come in with happy tail. Most of them started because of being kenneled or in a crate; so their tails were wagging (imagine still being happy) and slamming against the kennel or crate. If you keep it bandaged and keep her away from walls and out of the crate, it will heal up and you shouldn't have any more problems unless you are keeping her crated all the time. Good luck!!

patm is offline Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean. Last summer we left Skippy at the boareding kennel (hes' been there many times over the years). She put him in a different room than he was used to and he came home with "happy tail" Our house looked like a masacre had happened. Sprays of blood all over at about waist level on the walls. It healed by itself, but the next weekend we took them to my parents and in his "happiness" he started flailing blood all over my parents house, the kitchen cabinents, the heavy drapes my mom has at the bottom of the staircase - an it all happened so fast! We bandaged his tail, but had a really hard time keeping anything to stay on. We even duct taped it to him, but it still slid off eventually. One thing that accidently ended up helping was the fact that we tried to put some padding in the end of the bandage to catch the blood - it slid off the end of his tail and formed a ball at the end of the bandage - so that was the first thing that hit the wall instead of his tail. Later we found that using liquid bandage spray and just one or two extra-large bandaids worked best. His healed well, but he still occassionally opens it up a little. I had also heard that you sometimes have to cut come of their tail off - hope that never happens!

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Oh my! I don't have any advice for you as I don't know anything about this but hope things are on the mend for you soon!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Malka is not in a crate, is that when she is so so so happy she bangs against the walls of the house, I cant do anything with that...She cannot avoid this...she does it basically in the morning when she gets up and come to cheer us. So I decided today she is gonna sleep down the bed and belted....not to allow her to get up until the excitment has decreased

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast