Learning Self Control

Thread: Learning Self Control

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultLearning Self Control

I do not know how those of you in rescue do it. Deal with other people!

One of my coworkers had an "oops" litter? She wants to keep one of the dogs, that she calls pure bred (oh they're just unpapared) to have another litter. Remember, this was an oops accident with a labrador mom and a bernese mountain dog dad? Apparently there is this new breed bernese labs, they breed them for seeing eye dogs angry4
    I have been holding back on my feelings for the most part but I lost it at that point "Those are not pure bred! what are you talking about?". Apparently she knows a "breeder" that breeds for this so...well then sure, that makes them a breed! I had to leave her cubicle at this point before I blew up.

I've also mentionned I'm walking a thin line in hopes of not alianating a friend but convincing her that there are no benefits to breeding her gal (all her reasons are HORRIBLE, like the fact that she says she wants a second but can't afford one from a real breeder!! )

And I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg that those in rescues have to deal with. This may sound horrible but I wish I could unlearn all I knew about bad breedings, health problems and the millions of dogs in shelters/being put to sleep.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2b Guest

DefaultRe: Learning Self Control

Oh, I so agree! I don't know how you rescue folks deal with all the dog-ignorant folks out there. I can certainly understand how hard it must've been to hold your tongue while talking to your co-worker about her "purebred" dogs.

I was once approached by a co-worker contemplating adopting a puppy from neighbors who had an "oops" litter. She wanted my advice as a dog owner, since she had never before owned a pet, but thought she might want a pup for her kids. It went something like this:

"What kind of dogs are the pups?"
    "I don't know."
    [And in my mind: you DON'T KNOW what type of dog you're considering bringing home? It could weigh between 6 pounds and 160, idiot! And you have no clue as to whether it's a dog-friendly breed, or mix of them.)

I said something like "Well, you'd need to find out how big the dog will become, first thing, and give it some thought, because the larger the dog, the bigger the financial committment in terms of food and vet care."

She looked completely confused.

"Not to mention that some breeds have long hair and shed more than others, and you have to decide if you can make a regular comittment grooming a dog."

"Oh, no, this would be an outside dog."

It was then that I told her she should only get a dog if it was to become part of the family. Otherwise, it's not fair to the dog, or the kids, yada, yada...

I know she was thinking of her kids, and meant well, but I just don't understand how people can think of pets as objects to be with only when it's convenient. :