Another dog sitting question

Thread: Another dog sitting question

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother dog sitting question

Hello,
    Well, the new potty regime is a success....pottying more, no more accidents. ;D I know, I know, a DUH moment.

Now, Gracie continues to get "snarky" with Cammy for no apparent reason. She was like this when my friend brought her over, but settled down the longer she was here with her. But, case in point...Gracie is asleep on the recliner, Cammy walks by the recliner to look out the window and Gracie gets off on her....snarling, growling (I heard this from the other room, kids saw it). The kids told her "No". Cammy wasn't even looking in her direction. : Cammy came in to the room I was in and looked at me as it to say "I didn't DO anything!"
    She's done this a few time since she came on Tuesday afternoon.
    I'm wondering if i should seperate them more, or what? Gracie is a cocker mix who is 9 years old. Not much history....she doesn't know any commands, tricks, doesn't know how to play with toys. I'm guessing she had some pups....she came trotting into the room when we were watching Laura's pups on the computer and started to hunt around for them...that's the only "normal' doggy behavior I've seen her do. She's hasn't had the best time of it since my friend has adopted her in May.....they had to take a lot of tumors off her tummy and had over 70 stitches!
    I feel bad....my friend is going to see her daughter over the Thanksgiving holiday and I'm sure she'll ask me if I could take care of her for the week again, but I don't want this happening either. I don't want Cammy afraid of other dogs.

Toyland

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Another dog sitting question

Update:
    Gracie was chewing on a bone in front of a doorway and Cammy was afraid to walk past her. I saw Gracie started to low growl....told her NO, took the bone away. All toys will put away with the exception of Cammy's pull toy. Sigh.

I think this incident will clinch the decision about whether she stays with us during the Thanksgiving holiday....

I think I'll keep them seperated as much as possible.

Any advice?

Toyland

How old are the dogs in question?

It's possible that Gracie had no previous socialization so she doesn't know how to act around other dogs. It's also possible that she's alpha and/or fearful and/or food aggressive.* It's also possible she is in pain if she had so many health issues before.

I'd keep them separated for now.* It's usually best to let them work things out on their own but since this is a temporary situation, I wouldn't risk it.*

It's really tough to diagnose this type of stuff over the internt.* It's usually best to see it in person to determine if it's normal doggy behavior or a sign of problems.* Body language tells us so much more than a simple growl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cammy will be 5 in December and Gracie is 9 yrs old. I would guess that the socialization is one of the keys. Just now, they were sniffin' each other again with tails wagging...go figure?
    I think seperation is a good idea and no more bones.
    I'm wondering if Cammy inadvertently scared Gracie by walking by her while she was sleeping on the chair.
    It is hard to guess what's going on with her since she isn't snarky all the time.

Toyland