Marrow bone...round two
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marrow bone...round two

DefaultMarrow bone...round two

Well Haley's first marrow bone landed her in the emergency room cause I just gave it to her marrow and all. I honestly had no idea what I did wrong. After posting about the incident I was told to scrape some of the marrow out because it was so rich and it likely gave her garbage gut. After a couple of months I've worked up the nerve to try it again cause boy did she enjoy it like nothing else I've seen her enjoy. I cut most of the meat off and scraped out all the marrow..and I mean all of it. Wish us luck I don't make her sick again. I am going to die if I make her that sick again. There is nothing on the market she enjoys more than the marrow bones. I've tried it all so I'm hoping I did right this time. She's so happy right now she wagging her tail as she chews it in almost delight. Wish us luck and please post if I missed doing something other than what I've already done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Marrow bone...round two

Sounds like a good second try! I love watching Maxi with hers. She gets this dreamy look on her face while she's working away at it.

Kathryn Guest

Good luck!!!
    Where do you get them?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LabMommyKathryn I get them at Publix. I just ask the guy at the meat counter to cut some larger than the ones they already have out. They are dirt cheap. I got four of them about 6 inches long and only paid $5.14. The money I've spent on trying to find something she like doesn't pale in comparison to this. They were frozen when I got them so I put one in the refrigerator over night to soften the marrow so I could get it out.

Mel - she does look dreamy and it is fun to watch them enjoy something sooo much!

Thanks guys!

Kathryn Guest

awesome! I might have to make my mommy get me some. Better yet Aaron works for a meat cutter during hunting season here!

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    *Better yet Aaron works for a meat cutter during hunting season here!
    There you go! BUT..let me highly recommend if this is your first time please cut off most of the meat and scrape the marrow out. What we went through with Haley was scary and expensive.

Now that she's done I wonder if I should pick it up or leave it out. She left some stuff still on it and wonder if its safe to leave it be?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Good luck! My girls LOVE their marrow bones!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Kathryn Guest

Thanks for the advice. I will see if he can get me some!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grace and Hudler love them. Maddy won't touch them. Once they get used to the marrow, you can give them whole again...just give it a few weeks to let their system get used to it.

We put the bones in the freezer and give them out totally frozen. Makes the treat last longer.

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaleyJo03

Now that she's done I wonder if I should pick it up or leave it out.* She left some stuff still on it and wonder if its safe to leave it be?
    If she loses interest in it before it's finished, wrap it and stick it back in the freezer! (It's raw and it WILL go bad if left out!) I save those half done re-frozen ones until the new fresh ones are all gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast