Pet store puppies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet store puppies

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultPet store puppies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another thing I came across from the training class I assist in.
    A family came to their first class yesterday. They bought a Wheaten Terrier from a pet store. Cute puppy has the usual puppy behaviour "issues".

But what got to me was what the mom said. She said "they rescued the poor little thing from the pet store". This got me thinking...a lot of people probably see the dogs in the pet stores and how they are kept and buy them thinking they are "saving" them. Which I guess they are...but they are inadvertantly supporting the selling of dogs in petstores. It's a vicious circle! There's gotta be some way to stop the selling of dogs in petstores.

I totally understand how this lady feels...I saw a 5 month old yellow labrador retriever in a petstore cage and it broke my heart. I wanted to take the little fella home with me! All I could think of was how my little 5 month old guy had so much fun romping around in the yard and indoors and how much love and attention he got while this guy gets to be stuck behind a glass wall all day long and sleep in his own excrement

Ugh! THere's gotta be a way to stop this....
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pet store puppies

:'(
    I wish they could be outlawed.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I try to buy as little as I can from our local pet store as I don't want to support them and what they are doing. I usually try to go to feed supply stores and buy the things that Rowan needs.
    Very sad!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pet stores here don't sell dogs out of the pet stores they have a book with a list of breeders and such if you are interested they will setup an interview with the breeders and or the phone number to the shelters here in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is now a no kill state unless it is an animal that has attacked a child then the animal is put down but that is the only reason. all healthy animals are adopted out.

I really admire that about these stores here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hate to see that too. Most of the stores around here have humane society dogs/cats they keep in store for adoption through the local humane society. There are a few smaller stores though that I think do sell puppies I've not been in one though and don't plan to...

A well bred Wheaten can be a handful as a pup. I cannot imagine one from a pet store with questionable breeding
    I'm glad at least they're taking it to class.

It is a shame that more people dont KNOW exactly what they're supporting when they buy from a pet store.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Our friends who know how active I am with my labs and how I know so many breeders actually considered a pet store lab and ended up with a pet store Wiem. Last I heard, and from what I saw, the dog was fine--health and temperment--but I could haved slapped them silly!

I never even frequent small stores that sell puppies. It kills me. I want to take them all home. It does seem like "rescuing" but it is a vicious cycle.

Mybabymambo Guest

We have an Animal house here. They sell puppies for very high price. The puppies always look so sick. Runny eyes, noses. Plus in those little cages. I always wash my hands before I touch anything when I get home after looking at those

There is a doberman thats been there in that little cage for a few months. I want to take him, butnot for 1200.00. I may need to spend that just trying to get him healthy.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

It definitely breaks my heart seeing them like that in there...I don't know how you can do that and not feel awful about yoruself...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

I am 'one of those people' who bought their dog from a pet store. At the time we were researching breeds out of books and didn't truly understand the history behind pet store dogs (of course we are better educated now having been on this forum for a year and a half). We wanted a lab, the litter was registered - out of ingorance, we thought that we were doing okay. The first year Tucker was sick a lot which I now understand is a result of his questionable heritage. Personality wise though, Tucker is really the perfect dog (save for some small issues that are being worked on with training - ie. pulling on leash). Going forward would I get a dog from a pet store now? No. Do I regret getting Tucker from there? Absolutely Not!!

I have often thought about contacting the breeder (whose information I have) to ask why she would put her pups in a pet store, but have never done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast