How to give a dog liquid medicine?

Thread: How to give a dog liquid medicine?

DefaultHow to give a dog liquid medicine?

I tried giving Clarence the doggie Pepto that the vet gave us for his upset tummy days (he didn't throw up last night again-I gave him a Pepcid- but now he has the squirts out the other end) this morning but couldn't get it in him. We have a plastic syringe that the vet gave us and usually my fiance sticks in it in his mouth while I hold him but since my fiance isn't here, I had to try it myself. After getting the pink liquid all over me and the kitchen and getting none of it in Clarence, I gave up. Any suggestions how to make them stay still? I'm sure it doesn't taste that great and they know it.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to give a dog liquid medicine?

I position Maxi between my legs facing away from me in a sit position, and then while holding her between my knees, take hold of her nose and upper jaw with my left hand from above, and tilt her head back towards me.* Her mouth opens naturally in that position, and I can inject the syringe or drop the pill into the back of her mouth with my right hand quite easily, before she has a chance to object. I don't honestly remember if it's always been this easy (because she's going to be 9 years old), but it's the way I've always done it.*

Thanks. I tried something like that this morning but the little guy is slippery!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Tey a few small treats first to get his attention

Caseys Mom Guest

Have your syringe prepared in advance and hidden somewhere out of sight but easily accessible like in a back pocket. Then wait for the puppy to fall asleep. Once he's safely in dreamland, you can open his mouth and squirt the pepto down. If you're quick it'll all be over before he's even fully awake.* :P
    Good luck! Hope Clarence will soon be feeling better.

This is EASY. I have a toddlers medicine dispenser I got from Walgreens. I fill up the prescribed amount of in the dispenser and place it in the back of Haley's mouth (where there are no teeth) and just shoot it in. It is so far back in her mouth they can't spit it out and they have to swallow. Makes giving liquid meds a breeze Now when she sees me pulling it out she runs so that is the hardest part to catch her ;D

I haven't had to give Rowdy any liquid yet. But my other two this is the method I used at first, dog on his back and my hand on his muzzle, open moth, insert medicine and close mouth for a couple of minutes. After the first few times of this, they both decided the easy way was better. Of course the gentle nature of this breed allows this.