Puppy Help

Thread: Puppy Help

112deadpool is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Help

From what I hear, this is normal but please let me know how I should be dealing with it givin his age.

Pi trying to jump on the couch while biting. Or just biting us if we sit with him on the floor. It mainly hands and feet sometimes pants that he bits. It is 8.5 weeks old. I know all this is puppy energy. This is how I have been dealing with.

1) First, try to distract him with a toy, praise him if he takes it
    2) If (1) does work, repeat for 5-10 times.
    3) When he continues to it, and start to get more energy and will not listen I lightly pin him and say no.

Do anyone of you see a problem with (3) especially.

Let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Help

We would do #3... but it was more like we woud just gently/firmly grab Ender's muzzle for all of 2-3 seconds and say "No Bite"

Also the ignore/walkaway works well too if they are just insistent on getting to you. Biting = fun stops.
    ~Lindsay

Kathryn Guest

Because we have a small child in the house who at the time didnt get why you give the dog a toy when they bite we used a spray bottle. It worked well. Dakota only bit twice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

You're doingthe right things. 3 is fine... if it works and you are consistent. Another approach is to hold the muzzle firmly and say "no bite!", like Lindsay (Ender's Mom) said. Our trainer showed us how to do that while also wrapping the top lip under the teeth so the pup feels a pinch from his own teeth, which doesn't feel so good. It's quite effective.

Of course, the most effective thing is time, this is a phase and it will pass. Though it seems interminable while you're in it - I remember it well. Our Toby is almost 10 months old and is very gentle and doesn't bite though he still has a tendency to get a bit mouthy when excited. But the biting/nipping stopped once those sharp puppy teeth came out.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

This is the one thing i was never able to break tucker of as a pup. He eventually grew out of it, but my hands paid the price until he did.. which was an excruciating 7-8 months of age.

Now i tried everything.. and i think, looking back, i probably didn't give any tactic the proper amount of time before trying something new.. but i was incredibly frustrated wondeirng why nothing worked.

Anyway.. my point is, i know what you're going through, it's a painful one, and it will end =) Good luck =)

They say it takes 1000 repetitions before a pup "gets it". So just keep doing what youre doing.
    Especially make eye contact when you give the No bite. This is establishing you as the boss. She should look away when you do and not want to stare you down.

The most effective thing with a pup, and what would happen if she bit her littlermates too hard, is the FUN STOPS!
    Biting too hard= games over! And they will quickly learn the rules to keep the fun going.

And replacing an appropriate toy in the mouth is perfect.

The best teething toy we ever used were frozen waffles, made with wheat batter. And also a new paint roller, from the dollar store, soaked in some chicken brother and then frozen. This was good for at least an hour or satisfied contentment.

112deadpool is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the help. One more question, I took the first week off to be with the pup while he's here so he gets a lot of the discpline. So when she comes home, he can't get enough of her, but gives me dirty looks. Let me know if this is normal or if I am crazy.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

That's normal. Can't say if you're crazy. It doesn't mean the pup loves you any less, but there is (and I hate to anthropromorphize here) definitely the one "fun" parent and the one disciplinarian.

In our house, I am the Mean Mommie and Mark is the Fun Daddy. We're more or less on the same page so Toby doesn't get mixed messages, but he certainly knows with whom he can push boundaries successfully and with whom it doesn't work at all. A little funny story: we were just visiting Mark's family in PA and took Toby with us, he loved having "aunts", "uncles", and "grandparents" around, and he was tremendously spoiled. Everyone was very good about my one rule: if you give him a treat, at least make him do something (sit, stay, shake, high five, down, wait, etc.) for it - nothing is free. Toby got lots more treats than usual. And I have to say, I was proud of him and he made me look good. But he still found his treat bag that "grandma" had left accidentally on the table. We came home, and I found the bag, damp and empty on the floor. I picked it up, looked at Toby, and said "did you finish all these?". I was not going to punish him, I never hit him and rarely yell. But still, he looked at me sheepishly and ran over to sit at Dad's feet... guilty as charged, I think.

Anyway, don't take the dirty looks personally. Your pup loves you at least as much. They need a leader to give them direction at least as much if not more than they need a playmate. But I can sympathize.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]