Lab Beds and teaching them they are for sleeping or laying on, not chewing!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab Beds and teaching them they are for sleeping or laying on, not chewing!

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultLab Beds and teaching them they are for sleeping or laying on, not chewing!

As you see by the subject line, we have a problem! A while ago, I got Buddy a cheapo bed just to see if he'd like it. Well, he did like it, so much that he tore it up! So we took it away and decided he could do without one for the time being. Now, I ordered one of the real nice fluffy soft Caddis beds from Petco. It arrived today, and so after Buddy had his bath I though it was the perfect time to try out the new bed. Well, he immediately wanted to chew and tear it apart. I even laid on it to show him how nice it was, but he just wants to wreck it. I know he'd love it if he'd just give it a chance. I was hoping he would take to it and maybe not want to be on the furniture as much.

Does anyone else have a problem like this? If so, what did you do to solve it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Lab Beds and teaching them they are for sleeping or laying on, not chewing!

I think you have to put it away for another year or so until Buddy is out of the search and destroy mode! lol

But maybe someone will have a clever idea to help you out! Hope so

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab Beds and teaching them they are for sleeping or laying on, not chewing!

Maybe if you put a Slumberland or Ashley furniture sticker on it, he will think it is great. ;D LOL at your story. Payton has eaten a hole right through a nice wool blanket I gave her to lay on; so I don't have any answers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ILoveBuddy is offline Senior Member

My Buddy did that to all the beds, pads,rugs, etc. we had for him when he was kept outside at night. The problem was solved when we bought him a new bed and let him sleep inside next to me. He wasn't going to give up until he got what he wanted! Are we spoiling him or what :

Buddy tore up every bed we bought him for outside, so we eventually just gave up. He has an identical one inside, which he wouldnt dare destroy, but outside apparently its all fair game!

sorry, not much help - i agree with WeHeartLabs, just have to wait till out of that stage.

Oona destroyed an Orvis bed that was supposed to be "Lab Proof" in twenty minutes. Because it was the summer we let her sleep in her crate with nothing for awhile. hen we put a plain old towel in the crate. When that was ok we found the cheapest beds you could find. Whenever we caught her chewing on it she got a correction with the leash. Once she stopped and we knew the bed was safe (she was about 2) we got her another Orvis bed. I'm happy to report the bed and all of her fleece toys are safe and happy.
    Olie

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

Buddy still sleeps in his crate at night. He's not trustworthy enough to be left out yet. So in the crate he has a rug which he leaves alone. I thought a nice soft bed would be just the thing when we're sitting around watching TV, and he could join us on his bed. He did finally lay on it and even took a nap last night but we had to keep an eye on him or he'd start trying to chew the zipper. Guess it's just something we'll have to work on.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe ripped off the roping around the edge of her bed. I tried, "OFF" which seemed to help. I also put a sheet over her bed, which really helped. Now she has throws on 2 of her 3 beds. The other one has the fleece thingie on it. She's nevered bothered the fleece, for some reason.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

When Maggie was around 5 months old I bought a cheap bed at Petsmart to leave in the living room for her to lay on while we watch tv and stuff. Well she wanted to chew on it, especially the zipper, so I sprayed bitter apple on it. I never picked the bed up and every time she started to chew I just said "LEAVE IT" and sprayed more bitter apple. After a few weeks she ignored the zipper...and the bed. About 2 months ago she started laying on it alot and leaves the zipper alone. I don't know what did the trick, bitter apple, saying leave it, or just letting her grow up a little more.

rexduke Guest

If you can take the cover off, throw it in your dirty laundry for a day or so and then wash it, it will smell more like you, and your furniture this way and he may take to it easier & maybe take the cushion and place it between the bed and box spring of your bed for a day also. I don't think they like the "new" smell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast