Bath time!

Thread: Bath time!

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultBath time!

I just gave Buddy his first bath, with a lot of help from my son. I thought I could do it by myself, but boy was I mistaken! It was very exhausting! Having done it, I have learned a few things. First, I thought our tub was non slip, since it has a textured bottom and WE don't slip. But Buddy slipped! I think before I attempt another bath, I will get a tub mat. Second, you need more than 4 towels! Third, it's best to wear a bathing suit, or at least shorts! Now, AFTER having gone thru this, I was wondering how you all do it? Maybe something to make it easier next time? I don't plan to do it very often, and wouldn't have done it this time, but Buddy was really smelly. That's something else I was wondering about - he has always smelled like a DOG, but not like such a stinky dog, as he has the past few days. He didn't get into anything, but he just really developed a strong doggy odor... any thoughts on this?

I used Cloud Star's Buddy Wash, and it was great. It lathered up nice, but yet rinsed off very fast and easily, which I found to be a lifesaver! We needed to do it as quickly as possible! And now Buddy smells like a fresh clean dog again!

Barb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bath time!

Zoe had several baths as a puppy. I put her in the wash basin in the laundry room.
    When she outgrew the basin, I leashed her, stepped on the lead and did it outdoors w/a hose. This is what we do for rinsing after the beach. She doesn't get real "baths" anymore.

I use 2 bath towels.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

I gave Rowdy a bath about a week ago, it went well till I got a bit in his eye. I borrowed some of my Grandaughters baby shampoo because it was a spur of the moment thing. I'm going to get some "Mane and Tail" at work, a stuff horse show folks use. It's also good for my long locks. I hope to soon get him like the other two I had so he'll just go in the shower, get wet, and get the shampoo rubbed in and finish the job himself. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddy is amazingly good with baths, we dont leash him or anything, he just stands by himself on the lawn. I was quite amazed, i think i just got an easy dog.

I definently think the more people the better, especially as he starts getting bigger, thats if he doesnt grow to love baths!

I take them out into the driveway and use the hose. They love it on a hot Houston afternoon and they pretty much cooperate, (as in just stand there and take it).

Mybabymambo Guest

I have it real easy. When I say " Time to take a bath" He runs and sits in the tub and waits for me. He loves them. I swear he goes outside to get dirty so he can have a bath. He gets about two a week right now. So sitting in the tub for 20 minutes is easy for me. I do wear a bathing suit. He loves to lay his head on my leg while I lather him up..

I think his fav part is drying off. He dives into the towel..We also blowdry him so he loved the blow dryer..

The hard part is keeping him out of the tub, he always tries to get in, I find him sitting in the tub. I can not take a bath with the door oen unless I want a black guest in the bubbles with me.

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Maxine begs to get in the stall shower with me, so on the few occasions that shampoo is necessary, we have an easy time of it.

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

I wish we could do baths outside. It was so cold and rainy last night though. And our well water is sooooo cold, I'd hate to subject Buddy to it. I did think about getting a kiddie pool to use in the summer for baths, and then he'd just need a quick rinse from the cold hose. I doubt he'll be getting another bath soon. Hubby says it will destroy the oil in his coat, which he will need when he's out hunting this fall.

The odor may have come from something he rolled in. If the odor returns soon it may be something that a Vet should check out. Impacted anal glands can cause a real stink as can some yeast skin infections.
    As for baths I rarely give Duke a bath and when I do it's on the back Deck with a hose. Someone once said the if you don't know what shampoo taste like you've never owned a dog.

Emma has had one bath since we got her. and it was in the shower stall with DH.

When she's dirty, i use baby wipes to clean the area but try not to bathe her much at all. Her breeder said Emma's father has never had a formal bath. Swimming keeps him clean and he uses baby wipes for the rest of the time.