Rainy Days Exercise - What do you do?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rainy Days Exercise - What do you do?!

DefaultRainy Days Exercise - What do you do?!

For the past two weekends it has rained on Sunday - ALL DAY! I am not going to complain about the rain because we are in a drought. What is happening however, is Crockett going crazy - he will not rest, he paces all day, roams from room to room - gets into everything! I know this is because of the lack of exercise and I need help! I wanted to know what everyone does when the weather is bad to exercise their dog. During the week, I have dog DayCare but the weekends are the hardest part! I can only throw the ball so far in the house, but it seems like it is never good enough!
    Please Help!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rainy Days Exercise - What do you do?!

Ummm... Ender likes getting wet so unless it's a downpour... it's exercise as usual... retrieves in the park, running around on the trails near our house, playdate with another dog.

They won't melt... but of course you'll need to dress well for the occasion.
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Same thing as Ender's Mom. We exercise basically 365 unless it's a downpour or ice. We usually don't see anyone else out walking in the rain though :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm not looking forward to the rainy season. Last year we had so much rain, very unusual for California. Who knows what this year will be like.

Our closest dog park closes when the rainy season starts, so I'm really dreading that because she loves playing with other dogs and it's a large area for her to run off leash. I'm thinking that I'll invite some friends over with other dogs and they can play here. I'm going to get myself a slicker; I just don't think that there are enough "in house" activities to tire Lexie (hide and seek, fetch the ball down the hall, training). I also plan to take her with me to PetSmart/Petco and maybe HomeDepot on rainy days so she can work on socialization, etc. I'll probably be enrolling her in doggy daycare too, so she is sure to get a lot of exercise during the week.

She will also start obedience class on 10/7, so that should help a lot with Saturday exercise. There are a few other classes that I'm looking into for weekends. The local training club has a large facility and I'm hoping that maybe we can start on some rally training or more obedience.

I'm glad you started this thread. Hopefully we can all get some good ideas.

I knew someone would say that!!!! that is the plan for next time, it was raining and lightening so hard these past 2 times I was scared!!

Unless its lightening the boys go to the dog park. In the past two years the only time we have had the entire park to ourselves was when it was about 33 degrees with a horizontal rain.
    The boys loved it but I was miserable. :P

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

For those occassional days of rainy, nasty weather, my dogs enjoy a knuckle bone and also they love playing the "Find it" game. I take their favorite toy (Ruger's is his tuggy rope, Magnum's is currently her alligator) and I put the dogs in a "sit/stay" in the kitchen, then I go off and hide the toy somewhere in the house. I return to the kitchen and tell the dogs, "OK! Find it!!" and off they race. Sometimes they find it right away, other times they really have to hunt, but it's a lot of fun and it's both physically and mentally stimulating for the dogs

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Pretty much what raian does. We play in the house...I throw toys for her to get, play "seek", play tug, etc.

If it's a weekend, we go to the beach in the rain.

Walks in the morning even if raining. She doesn't seem to mind that much anymore.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We go out regardless of the weather UNLESS there's an active lightning storm or tornado in our area.

Get a good rain suit that's breatheable -- not the hard rubberized waterproof material on the outside that traps all condensation and moisture on the inside.* A half hour wearing one of those outside and you'll be dripping wet on the inside.

Those made of GoreTex are the best but also the most expensive -- usually hundreds of bucks.* I picked up satisfactory, non-GT pants and a hooded jacket from Sam's Club, Coleman brand, about $65.* Look in Costco's or Sam's camping supplies.

Other places to look are camping supply outfitters and outlets -- and you might try http://www.rei.com , http://www.llbean.com* and similar online sites.

Boating supply stores and websites will have similar products but they'll be called "foul weather suits".* Of those, you don't need a model for hurricanes -- you need something lightweight, breatheable, and waterproof.* Most boating supply stores are large chains and have online catalogs.* Try "Boaters World," "West Marine," "Boat US," "Defender Marine".

While many rain/foul weather suits have hoods, I prefer not using one and instead use a golf umbrella (golf* u. = no metal parts to attract lightning).* * That lets me hear much better than using the hood over my head and ears.

Easy walking waterproof boots also help but my leather boots can be treated to make them that way.

Just have a couple large bath towels ready to rub your Lab dry when you return.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I don't like being cooped up anymore than the dogs do. We go out unless there is lightning. We have had rain just about every weekend this summer. The amazing things about labs,darn near waterproof.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast