dogs who need to gain weight???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: dogs who need to gain weight???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    886

    Defaultdogs who need to gain weight???

    I posted here since it is the most visited section. Does anyone have information on helping rescued dogs gain weight? Things to feed, supplements, etc. I can't seem to find much about this on the internet that seems like good information. Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    703

    DefaultRe: dogs who need to gain weight???

    Its all about calories and excersise. Just feed more food! But don't overdue it. You want the weight gain to be slow and even. I would start with the top end of what your bag says for the weight you want and enter in what you think your dog should weigh into this http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm

    Whatever you start with, give the first amt you start with a week or two to see results and then adjust accordingly

    You should need suupliments if you are feeding a quality food.

  4. #3
    Trickster's Avatar
    Trickster is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,913

    DefaultRe: dogs who need to gain weight???

    Is the dog in question the bitch you found? or was she a rescue? sorry --can't remember.

    How much does she weigh now and what is her target weight?

    How you put weight on her will depend on her condition. With dogs that have been malnourished, it is not just a case of feeding loads and hoping for the best. That can do more harm than good.

    I have posted this article before; http://www.heroswaggintrain.com/heal...tm#in%20answer

    Hope it helps.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    886

    DefaultRe: dogs who need to gain weight???

    Yeah, my little terrier mix I found/rescued needs to put on more weight. I don't seem to be seeing any gain. She has been treated for worms and that was a while ago. She has been sick a few times so we have had a few bumps in the road. She currently weighs 17 lbs and should probably be at least 20 lbs. Her overall condition is better, but she doesn't seem to be gaining. I can easily feel her hip bones and ribs. No fat between the skin and bones. She has more pep than the whole house combined. Thanks for the info.

  7. #5
    Trickster's Avatar
    Trickster is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,913

    DefaultRe: dogs who need to gain weight???

    No problems. If you follow a recipe like the one of that website (or similar) it should beef her up a bit. Building muscle will also help. One thing I noticed when I volunteered at our local dog shelter was the lack of muscle mass on a lot of the dogs. Steady exercise also helped them build up.

  8. #6
    labgirl12 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley View Post
    I posted here since it is the most visited section. Does anyone have information on helping rescued dogs gain weight? Things to feed, supplements, etc. I can't seem to find much about this on the internet that seems like good information. Thanks in advance for any help.
    You won't find much information. This is due to many forums and people being sponsored by dog food companies. They want you to believe that working your dog and feeding them dog food will replenish their bodies properly. However, this is far from the truth. Check out my thread and see how I was getting the same ole' advice they are conditioned to give and then as soon as my vet recommended a supplement they all attacked me: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ight-gain.html

    By the way the supplement I mentioned is already showing some results, it has been 3 days only. Good luck.

  9. #7
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    Holy six year old thread Batman! I sure hope that the OPs dog has regained body conditon at this point!

    And for anyone else who is rehabbing an emaciated dog - Holistic Dog - Satinballs Satin Balls

    Satin Balls - not sponsored by an evil dog food company.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  10. #8
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labgirl12 View Post
    You won't find much information. This is due to many forums and people being sponsored by dog food companies. They want you to believe that working your dog and feeding them dog food will replenish their bodies properly. However, this is far from the truth. Check out my thread and see how I was getting the same ole' advice they are conditioned to give and then as soon as my vet recommended a supplement they all attacked me.
    BWAHAHAHA!!!! I'd like to know where the hell my big fat dog food company check is?

    So you are a conspiracy theorist as well an a nutritional and conditioning expert? You should add a whole lot to this forum. It's been quiet for some time here.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  11. #9
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    BWAHAHAHA!!!! I'd like to know where the hell my big fat dog food company check is?

    So you are a conspiracy theorist as well an a nutritional and conditioning expert? You should add a whole lot to this forum. It's been quiet for some time here.
    Me too!!!

    So...I am a rotation feeder-I feed about 8 different foods-am I being paid by all of them?????
    Imagine-suggesting a dog EAT food to gain weight.
    And EXERCISE to build muscle.
    What truly novel concepts.

  12. #10
    Luvmydog2much's Avatar
    Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    If there's no food allergies, try Noodles. Pasta and rice are very quick to pack the pounds on and I have a friend who will often feed a normal amount of kibble with a cup of rice mixed in.

    Too much kibble can cause loose stools, and its dense. Sometimes you need something else.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held


    Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25