I'm wondering if Tal got a bit overstimulated today

Thread: I'm wondering if Tal got a bit overstimulated today

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm wondering if Tal got a bit overstimulated today

We had a big day..lots of folks and stuff. Since everyone left Tal has been really hyper even after his nap. I just took him out and he just wants to keep biting at me. Nothing vicious or anything it's like my fingers are like one of his chew toys. I put him in his crate and he barked a bit then plopped down in his crate. He seems to want to chew on the wire bars on the crate too....I hope he is a bit calmer by morning. Oh yeah. When coming back inside I carried him and he didn't really nip at my hands.

The only other thing I can figure is he wants a drink. I don't want him getting up 2 or three times tonite. And his last water was at 7:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I'm wondering if Tal got a bit overstimulated today

I know a lot of people say to take away their water but if he is thirsty I say give him a small drink. How would you feel if you weren't allowed to drink when you wanted to. But my main reason is like humans they need water to maintain a proper balance in their systems. If he panted a lot today and was quite active his body probably needs more fluids. Lack of fluid will cause kidney damage etc.

I would rather get up with Cinnamon in the middle of the night then have her go thirsty. I figured like a baby that was part of the commitment I made when I got her. I think a large part of this is because living in a desert climate I have seen the damage that lack of water can do to a person. But even in cooler climates with higher humidity or activity the same thing can happen.

I never took away Cinnamon's water and by 4 months she was no longer waking me up every night to make a pit stop in the middle of the night. I did start the policy of when we pitted in the middle of the night we went out the front door to the closest grass did our business and came in no sniffing around and playing. If she didn't business right away we returned to bed. She learned this was a do your business quickly break only. After about 8 months it is a very rare night she lets me know she needs to go out and she is kind unless she has the trots she waits until I make my middle of the night run.

I would rather get up then take the chance on any kidney damage or her getting a UTI. We have never had any problems along that line but she has always had water. In fact since she was 8 months old I keep a dish in our room at night as I would wake up and she would be panting even though the AC was on.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Like Azlab said...let the little guy have his drink. I got Buck in the middle of snowy winter. I used to take his water away around 8:45-9pm and he went to sleep at 10. He used to wake me up 3-4 times a night till he was about 4-5 months or so. It used to make me cry! But he knew his middle of the night trips were all business and owuld go out do his stuff and head straight to bed. Depending on his level of activity that day...I sometimes left his water available till he went to bed.

If you think Tal is thirsty but don't want to give him a lot of water....just give him an ice cube or two to chew on. It's just not right being thirsty and not having any water to drink

It's also possible that Tal was just overstimulated. They are like kids...when they get too excited they just don't know what to do with themselves!* ;D

Oh yes!...I should have added this before...Btw you seem to be doing a great job with Tal. He's one lucky guy to have ya ;D ;D
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog

The only other thing I can figure is he wants a drink. I don't want him getting up 2 or three times tonite. And his last water was at 7:30.
    I'm not sure I would associate biting your fingers with being thirsty (BUT, I'm new, so maybe that is what that means)* From what I've read, there is nothing wrong with taking his water up at night.* Many places, and one of my books, suggest 6:00, I've also read 8:00pm.* Anyway, Mellow gets water throughout the day, just not unlimited.* When it was unlimited, we'd come inside and he'd pee just a couple minutes later.* *I kinda figure it this way, even I drink only so much throughout the day.* When I'm on one of my diets and I try and drink lots of water, I AM PEEING ALL THE TIME!!* *After about two weeks, Mellow was down to getting up once, somewhere between 3 and 4:00am.* This past week he actually didn't get up at all - but, I take him out just before bed, 11:00pm, and my husband gets up for work at 5:15. I think you're doing a great job and you seem very diligent in doing what is best for little Tal.* He is one lucky little guy!
    Modified to add - we also give Mellow a few ice cubes throughout the day - he lOVES playing with them.

6:00 pm That seems way too early to me. Unless the pup goes down for the night by 7 or 7:30?
    If he got a lot of extra exercise that day, it makes sense that he would be a bit more thirsty. Or just having problems settling because he is wound up.
    Just like a child, when they pass that point of no return and enter wild stage lol

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. He was alot better this am..he has been sleeping thru the night ok and did so last night. I try and make sure he gets plenty of water and I thought he had yesterday. Sometimes when he gets really bitey I will take him to his water dish and food and he will drink but not eat. Then he calms down. I think I might get an additional bowl for my room. The is where we leave and come back when he needs to potty.

I had just heard or read that 7 should be the last time they should have water but I think I'm gonna let him have what he needs. And it's not that big of a deal to get up and let him out. Definitely don't want him to be thirsty or have any UTI problems. And I guess I shoulda figured with his fun yesterday he might have needed a little extra water...well ya live and learn! Won't make that mistake again.

Thanks again...