Cherry Eye, do you think he has it??? Warning - This is long
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Eye, do you think he has it??? Warning - This is long

ChewyCharlie Guest

DefaultCherry Eye, do you think he has it??? Warning - This is long

Now this hasn’t been a concern between my parents, me or the vet. However there is a member on here (I will not mention their name because I am not trying to be a jerk, but I just don’t agree with their opinion, so please if you are the person that is bugging me about this, please don’t bother responding to this post, and pointing yourself out) that has bugged me about this. This individual is saying that Charlie has Cherry Eye. Now at first I had no idea what this was, but I have actually done a bit of research in the last few hours and now am 99.9% positive Charlie doesn’t have it. Cherry eye, looks like a gland is actually bugging out, and in Charlie’s eyes, its just smooth.

Now, my parents have made sure that Charlie has seen the vet every time he was required to go (and even more) for shots, and so on, and haven’t been afraid to ask questions about this and that (Myself, I am in university so I am not around for the better part of 8 months, but I still do all I can while I am around, and Charlie and I are best buds ) But I was at the vet with Charlie and my dad, when he was receiving the 3rd set of puppy shots, and we asked the vet about his eyes, because the bottom lids droop a lot. Now our vet has all her credentials (though we all know that certain vets can be total numbskulls or total idiots at times, and we change vets), and has assured us that this is not a problem.

The only thing she said that it might pose as a problem down the road was that if the bottom lids didn’t pick up a bit, a lot of junk (dirt, dust, hair) could get caught in the lids and cause lots of eye infections. So far everything has been good, touch wood However, if down the road, Charlie does get a lot of eye infections, we can have a “face lift” done or the bottom lids tightened more to avoid this problem. If it isn’t broken, why fix it?

Now that Charlie is only 11 days off his first Birthday, he has started filling out, and this “problem” has already started to fix itself, the lids aren’t nearly as droopy as before. And I really wish I had the most recent pictures on my computer, but they are all stuck on my camera at home :

The only reason why I am asking this of all of you who will read it is what is your opinion? I mean I wouldn’t bother, but this has really bugged me. Have any of you had labs with really droopy bottom lids? Did it fix itself once they started to fill out?

I have attached pictures from when he was 7 weeks old, 2 and a half months and 6 and a half months old so you can all see that it isn’t getting worse, and that his eyes have always been like this.

Thank you all so much in advance for your comments, normally I wouldn’t bother posting stuff like this, but I almost feel like I have to argue for myself to prove a point

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Cherry Eye, do you think he has it??? Warning - This is long

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I did PM you to ask about his eyes though. I have a friend who's puppies eyes look like Charlies at 7 weeks and she can't get any answers from vets.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, I have to say, it doesn't seem normal to have such droop in the lower lids. From the pictures it does look like it might be more pronounced the older he's getting. I'm just going on what I see in the pictures, of course.

Is this ectropion? What's that condition with the eyelids? Anyone know?

It does not make you a bad parent, OK? Sounds like you have spoken with the vet about it and they aren't sure. Maybe you could try another vet? Sometimes a vet can be very knowledgeable, but maybe she hasn't run into this particular thing before and it has her stumped. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dare1969 Guest

Sydney's eyes do that when she is sleepy, and they get blood red.
    He's a pretty dog. I agree w/ AngusFangus, it does seem to get
    more pronounced the older he gets.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I would think that if your vet isn't worried about Charlie's eyes and your family are aware that there might be problems in the future, but know what to look out for, then just leave him as he is for now.

I bet he makes extra good use of his soulful eyes when he's in trouble or after a treat ;D

Won't someone please feed me!

Apollo has this too, and I think as he has gotten older its a little better but he's almost one and I don't know that it will entirely change. (although he is very much a pinhead right now-so as his head gets bigger maybe?) Please tell me his head will grow into his body : Our vet also doesn't think its an issue, but I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the vets at our office so who knows.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others who say that it seems to have gotten more pronounced as he has gotten older...well that's what the photos show anyways. But as long as he is in no discomfort I don't see an issue in leaving things the way they are. You guys already know what you will have to do if he starts getting a lot of infections such.

Buck had droopy eyes when he was younger. But they have gotten much better. He is now 9 months old. He used to get a lot of "eye goobers" but that has increasingly gotten better (knock on wood). I too tlaked to my vet about it and she isn't concerned. She said he will outgrow it and so far he seems to be headed in that direction.
    At 8.5 weeks old

From the Cherry Eye photos I have seen...doesn't seem like your pup has it. Maybe getting him that surgery is a good idea? I am not sure...you guys should do what you feel is best. Like I said before...as long as he is no real discomfort or danger of hurting his eyes...

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Jacob has extremely droopy eyes. The vet does not want to do surgery because she says there is little reason for extreme medical intervention. Jacob is more susceptible to irritated eyes and has been to the vet many times to have his eyes examined. It seems like he is forever on eye creams or drops of one kind or another. While his eyes do get irritated, he does not show any signs that they are bothering him. We do keep a close watch on them, however, for signs of foreign bodies or unusual irritation.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

I am not a vet, nor do I play one on T.V. But it looks like there may be more than just droopy eyelids going on. The colored part of the eye is being covered up more than is typical

If it is ectropian, then surgery certainly would correct it. One of the concerns with having such droopy eyelids would be grass seeds and other foreign matter caught in the eyes. That could lead not only to infections but scratched corneas. Be sure to keep "an eye" for excessive weeping adn 'eye gunk'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast