questions about obedience classes

Thread: questions about obedience classes

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Default questions about obedience classes

What shoudl I look for in a dog obedience class?* My 6 motnth old lab will sit, stay, down on leash without distractions.* Add another dog to the mix and we have pandomonium.* At six months what do I expect of Payton, what would she learn at a dog class, and how do I sort out the instructor/trainer on Day 1 of class?* Please offer any suggestions. Thanks.

Would it be better to just keep working with her on my own: repeat, reapeat, repeat. Or are there distinct advantages to a group class?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MTI Guest

DefaultRe: questions about obedience classes

Check out the projected class size. Smaller is better for a couple of reasons. Obviously it means the instructor has a better chance of interacting with the dog and owner(s) more frequently and there is less chance that a single or few "slow learners" are going to monopolize valuable class time.

Quote Originally Posted by MTI
    Check out the projected class size.*.
    I believe the class size is 7 or 8. It is for the adolescents. The young pups are at a different time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

A class would be a wonderful idea!

If you are having trouble with distractions, you would have LOTS of opportunities to work through that in a classroom setting! No place more distracting than puppy class.

In our Level 1 classes, we teach Down, Sit, Stay, Come, and Walking Nicely on a Leash. We have 12 people in our Level 1 class this time, with one instructor and one assistant. That's really too big of a class...they usually try to keep it to eight.

Ask if you can go and observe a class beforehand, and talk to the instructor. You want someone who uses positive training methods. You can learn a lot just by going and watching. Are the people having fun? Are the dogs having fun? Is the instructor supportive, and is he or she spending time individually with each team?

That's all I can think of right now. Classes are really great for a lot of reasons, if you find a good one!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I actually asked myself the same question with Rocky. He was almost two and knew the basics. But like you said - not so great when there were distractions.

But I took a class and it was great. I will take more once I finish flyball for the year! As mentionned above you work with distractions (little by little) and a good teacher will find what distracts YOUR dog (for Rocky it's not other dogs, but food and a squeaky toy!).

But most importantly, I have yet to meet a dog that DOES NOT LIKE obedience! It's great to have their minds working and the extra special one on one time.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thank you for your input.* I think I will go to the first class, and see what the atmosphere is like.* I KNOW she will like seeing the other dogs.* ;D* I just don't know if the instructor will like her.* Of course she may be a good distraction for the other dogs* :P

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I like classes because it teaches YOU how to train a dog and how to do it better. I went through classes and even advanced stuff with my 2 older ones, and when we got the puppy last year, even though we knew how to do the basics, I wanted the class atmosphere to help me again.

If you don't like the first class, don't be afraid to change. All instructors have their way of doing things, and it's not necessarily always the same that you would do, so if you want to change classes, do it. We went through 3 trainers until we found the one we like.

We have Denali (6mo) in a puppy II obedience class...He like Peyton does well at home....sit, stay, down.....when there are other dogs around....that all goes to hell! Dakota (2) took Puppy II and obedience I and is a great dog......The first class (last Friday) for Denali was a circus....he barked for 10 minutes and just wanted to play...but seems to get better each class.. There are 8 dogs in the class and the instructor is wonderful. I recommend obedience class not only for manners but for socialization as well....

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

The advantages to a class have been cited above. I'll just add one: the social aspect for both you and your dog. We try to keep our classes fun and informative, with the accent on the FUN. We encourage students to share and learn from each other, and we both celebrate victories and console each other in our frustrations. All MUCH better than training solo.