Where does the white patch come from??

Thread: Where does the white patch come from??

ChewyCharlie Guest

DefaultWhere does the white patch come from??

I have always wondered this because Charlie has one, both his parents were labs, and their parents before that... Mom and Dad were both black but Grandma was chocolate, in bright sunlight sometimes you can see hints of chocolate thru his coat too, but where does the white patch come from ??? We love the white patch on Charlie, when my dad picked him out, he picked him because of that, but most of Charlies brothers and sisters were just solid black.

Someone in another post said something about a flaw, I mean this is not so important, but I'm just curious, and where else is a better place to ask

Here is a picture of Charlie sporting his patch, only 6 months old here, so he's still really lanky But you should see him now, OMG, he is going to be huge!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Where does the white patch come from??

Some labs just have that gene that produces that white patch. It's not a desirable trait if you are showing, as I understand it . There are a lot of labs with the white patch on their chests and they are just as beautiful as the ones without. ;D

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Actually, if I am not mistaken, in the breed standard it says "a small white patch is permissable."

Who knows what "small" means, and the fact that they say it's "permissable" sort of sounds like, "Well, we'll let you get away with it, but it's not our favorite," doesn't it?

But at any rate, I think a lot of black Labs have them, and yours is a cutie!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

A friend had a litter and both parents are champions and one black male had quite a large white spot on his chest - about the same size as your boy's.

What is wrong with his eyes?????

ChewyCharlie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    What is wrong with his eyes?????
    We asked the vet about this, and she said that you can see a lot of pink (or red when he is super tired ) because the bottom lids are quite droopy. But the picture is from when Charlie is about 6 and a half months old, now that he is nearly one and started to fill out, you cannot see the pink nearly as much. We are hoping that once he has finished filling out this will go away completely, and if not, and he is getting a lot of eye infections, we can bring him in and it can be corrected surgically by tightening the bottom lids. Hopefully we wont have to settle on the surgery though, and its seems as thou it wont have to be an option.