hair standing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hair standing

Defaulthair standing

I have 2 labs, a 9 yr old female and a 4 mos old male. They get along really good, but I have noticed lately that Rugers(the pup) hair stands up sometimes when they are playing. I believe this is for defensive purposes but I was just wondering if he is fighting (mean) or just playing. He never hurts Sidney and I think he is just playing but I was just wondering. Let me know what you all think....
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: hair standing

I think playing, but I not an expert. Puddy's hair always stands up when she is playing and running with other dogs.

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

Maggie's hair stands up when she gets scared. If we are at the park and another dog is being rough with her, her hair on the her back will stand up. I have never seen her growl or act mean when this happens and she is never biting the other dog back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

It's just the 'excitement' of the game. Maxi's hair stands up when she's playing chase, and she's the chasee rather than the chaser. When it happens, she's always wearing her 'happy face'.

Tucker's hackles will come up sometimes when playing...or when he hears something and goes to investigate, or when he's unsure of something new sometimes.

I think it shows emotion....happy, fearful, curious, cautious, etc.

Lexie's hackles rises all the time when she's really excited. She runs around the dog park with a big puff of hair along her back all the time. I suspect when they're puppies this tends to happen more, since I don't see that many adult labs at the park with their hackles up.

Someone thought she was part Ridgeback the other day when we were at the park.

Thanks, I figured it was nothing but just wanted some opinions....

Its been my experience that puppies raise their hackles for all sorts of reasons; fear, excitiement, joy, anger etc. It seems that as they age they use it mainly as a warning when they are suspicious or something. I know that Callie does it all the time, while Indy aged 5 never does and Murphy aged 4 and the Alpha does it when he is "on guard" duty and sense something not quite right.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Yes Emma does that all the time when she's in a play-mood.When she's exited and happy! Some ppl thinks she's mad :-\...but she's not...

Quote Originally Posted by putertutor
    Someone thought she was part Ridgeback the other day when we were at the park.
    That happened to us too one for a few years ago! Somebody with a rottie-mix thought Emma was a Ridgeback! ;D
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Both of my girls hackles come up when playing and when they are checking out something they are unsure of. Boo's hair stands up all the way down her back and to the base of her tail. We call it her ridgeback attack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast