What type of underground fence works for you?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of underground fence works for you?

DefaultWhat type of underground fence works for you?

I have a 4 month old lab and have just started looking into underground fencing.
    Just wondering if you have one, if you like it...what has worked for you & your dog and what hasn't.
    Thanks everyone,
    Gertie's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What type of underground fence works for you?

I live in an area that has a lot of "invisible fences" and I find at least 2 or 3 dogs a year running in the streets, lost with one of those collars on. I truly believe the only good fence is an actual one.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

I* have had an underground fence for several years.* I have three acres fenced in and the dogs love it..* I agree with everything Vanis said.* It isn't for all dogs, but it works great for mine.* I have seen Jake and Jazzy chase a rabbit clear across the yard and stop dead right before the fence line.* Jazzy longs to go over to my daughters house, but sits for hours by the fence line watching for them to come out.* I* very seldom leave the out unless I am outside with them.* Here is a link to the fence I have.
    http://radiofence.com/dog_fences_underground.htm

Brookville, Pa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

For what it's worth, petsafe and radiofence are the same company, so Linda and I both have experience with that fence.

I have a JRT and a lab and my underground fence works for both. My JRT is obsessed with squirrels and we have tons of them. The fence will keep him the yard even with dancing squirrels on the other side. Now that is saying something!! The only problems we have are remembering to put the collars on all the time because they are so trained on the fence. Slowly the Russell will get closer to the line then the dancing squirrels get the best of him and I have to remember to get the collar back on (especially in the Fall). And you have to keep an eye on the batteries. There are companies out there that require you to buy their batteries which can be very expensive. I recommend a company that lets you buy your own batteries. I love my underground fence but do keep a collar with our ID on it just in case! We've only needed it once. Oh and when we go to my parent's house, my dogs think they have an underground fence too. Too funny.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Hi Gerties Mom:

I have an Invisible Fence system for Lexi in my yard. Lexi learned quite quickly how close she can get to the edge of the yard before the collar will beep & usually gives it a wide berth. When she does get close enough to get the beep, she usually hauls her furry little fanny far from it. She's learned very quickly she does not like the correction.

Like others have pointed out, it does not keep other animals out. That is not really an issue for me as I live in a suburban setting & anything aside from squirrels and rabbits are rare. Like Rileysmom said, my Invisible Fence keeps Lexi in even when there are rabbits scooting around under the pine trees. Lexi will stand there & bark like crazy at them, but will NOT cross the line to chase them.

I've put her out a few times without her IF collar one & she has not tried to leave, but I try to make sure she has it. I also do not leave her out there alone. Thankfully my house is small & I can see the yard from just about any part of the house. I am always peeking out the windows checking on her.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

I've been curious about these underground fences too. It seems like almost every dog-house in my subdivision has one. I'm wondering about cost? Are they less expensive than a traditional fence? Are they professionally installed?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

friend of mine installed an IF at her parents' house - they have an acreage that would be difficult to fence normally. She rushed the training, and for six months, her lab would NOT leave the deck. If forced to, she would defecate in fear. She will now go out, potty and then come right back in.

If you do decide on the fence, get professional help in the training process.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceAndCo
    I've been curious about these underground fences too. It seems like almost every dog-house in my subdivision has one. I'm wondering about cost? Are they less expensive than a traditional fence? Are they professionally installed?

You can install them yourself or get it done professionally. I went the professional route with the training and the installing. And they are MUCH cheaper than traditional fencing. Atleast, in my area. It cost us about 1100 dollars to fence in an acre with IF. Now I am sure you can imagine how much traditional fencing would cost to fence in an acre of land :P

It works great on my dog. He will only leave the property when I am holding the leash and leading him out through the driveway. Otherwise he has not even attempted to leave the property for anything. Not even for a big hotdog! I think if you properly train them at an early age they do well on it.

As the others have said...it's not for every dog and it's something you will have to test and find out. The company I went with returns your money if the fence does not work for your dog. The company we used is "invisible fence". I never leave him outside by himself for more than 2 mins. but then again i don't do that even in an area with traditional fencing because he loves to get himself in trouble :P Oh and yeah...it does not prevent other animals from coming into your property.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceAndCo
    Hi ChanceandCo,

I don't know about the PetSafe system. Like Buckyball, I went used "Invisible Fence" and the professional installation route.

I looked at traditional chain link fence, the vinyl decorative type and the invisible fence. My property is only 60' x 100', so it is a small lot, by comparison to some. In Pennsylvania, where I live (near Philadelphia) pricing was:

~ $1,500 + for traditional chain link 4 ft high, only doing the back yard, starting at one corner of the house & going around
    the perimeter to the other corner of the house

~ $3,000 + for the decorative vinyl fencing.

~ $900 for the "Invisible Fence System" around the entire property, plus a tuck-in at the front corners of the house, so
    there are two (2) zones & Lexi can not loop completely around the house.

I also took into consideration what kind of maintenance I would have to contend with going the traditional chain-link or vinyl fence, stuff like weeding along the edges, would Lexi run along it and leave a bare path, trash getting stuck in it or cleaning it, making repairs etc.

With the Invisible Fence, there is none of that and if I have a problem (which I have not in the almost 1 1/2 years I've had), IF will come out and repair it. Another big plus is what Buckyball pointed out, the company we used will refund your $$$ if the fence does not work for your dog.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast