Just Labradors banner

Nature's Variety Prairie?

955 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MNLab 
#1 ·
Anyone feed their dogs this? We did some shopping around last night and decided to switch the dogs over to something other than Solid Gold Wolf King. We like the Solid Gold but

1) Remy needs to eat waaaay to much of it to keep weight on
2) Brooklyn is having the grass and stick obsession which makes me wonder if she is missing something nutritionally and
3) Our local pet store is actually phasing it out since not a lot of people are buying it.

We were looking at the Evo, the Innova and the Natural Balance and we decided to go with the Prairie. They seem to have a lot of differnent flavors and I like their rotational plan. We got a bag of the beef and started mixing it in this morning. They LOVED it. Now let's see how they do on it.

Anyone have any experience with the Prairie?

#3 ·
We've been feeding this to Bella for about 7 or 8 months. She was on Canidae for many years, but we switched off of it right before they changed their formula. So far, she'd done quite well on it and really enjoys it (she seemed to be getting kind of bored with the Canidae).

We started with the Venison variety for a couple of bags and then rotated to the chicken. She's almost done with the 3rd bag of chicken, so we'll probably rotate again - maybe to lamb. (Bella starting taking a thyroid supplement a couple months ago, so we have been holding off a bit on rotating her food so we could more easily monitor her weight.)

I think we'll probably use the chicken variety as the standard and always go back to that after rotating to something else.
So something like this: venison -> chicken -> lamb -> chicken -> beef -> chicken , etc...

#6 ·
We feed this to Raven. It is the only food she does really well on. She has some food issues and this food is great for her. She loves it too.
We had to feed a little less than other foods she has eaten. The only problem is with tapioca as the only binding ingredient we have had a few bags that were very crumbly, so much to the extent that we had the throw them out. We only feed the chicken variety so far. I would recommend it!!

#7 ·
My lab eats Canidae, however, my Mini Aussie and my parent's Sheltie are on the Natures Variety (currently eating the lamb one) and they love it. The Sheltie is picky and really seems to enjoy the NV. Also, the Aussie's coat has improved on the NV, she's very glossy and shiney now (she's black). It also helped her dandruff. My Aussie has trouble keeping her weight down, however, so we'll see how this one works out for her. She was eating Innova and it was just way too caloric for her.
So far I'm happy with it. I have not decided if we'll rotate or not, for now they like the lamb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.