A Dog Year by Jon Katz

Thread: A Dog Year by Jon Katz

Dawn is offline Senior Member

DefaultA Dog Year by Jon Katz

Has anybody read this book? I sat down and read the whole thing today - it was absolutely wonderful .... The author writes about his very special and unique relationship with first, his two yellow labs, and eventually after they have passed, two extremely challenging border collies. I guess it's been out for a few years, but I'd never heard of it, and just happened to pick it up by chance at Borders. Anyhow, if you love dogs and like to read, you'd love this one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A Dog Year by Jon Katz

TY for the recommendation! I'll look for it on Monday.

I would also recommend two other books by him...The Dogs of Bedlam Farm and Katz on Dogs. The first tells about his experiences on a farm with three border collies and some sheep. Wonderful reading. The second tells about getting a yellow lab female he named Clementine. Of course my personal favorite since I have a yellow female.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I read "A Dog Year" and "Bedlam Farm." Loved Dog Year. Liked Bedlam. Katz is a great writer -- too bad he's been all but eclipsed by John Grogan and "Marley and Me."

I loved A Dog Year. It remains one of my very favourite books of all time. I liked it much more than Marley & Me.

I agree with Dan... he's an incredible writer.

Dawn is offline Senior Member

I liked Marley and me quite a bit, but I definitely liked A Dog Year much more. Katz is a great writer, and his insight into the behavior of his dogs is amazing. I'm going to look for Bedlam Farm next.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I read one of his books (can't remember which one i started with!) and proceeded to read most of his other books (not yet done!) He is an excellent writer, and lays bare his soul in a way that is very powerful. Running to the mountain: A Journey of Faith and Change is the most recent I read -- he doesn't have all the answers, and recognizes his flaws, but working through the journey of life in his books makes you feel like you know him. Katz on Dogs should be required reading for all dog owners! Apparently he wrote mystery or detective novels years ago, and I plan to read those as well.
    I loved Marley and Me, but I found Jon Katz to be more challenging -- not that the books are a hard read, but he made me think about myself and how I relate to other people, dogs, and the world around me.