Do You think This would be ok?

Thread: Do You think This would be ok?

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo You think This would be ok?

Tal got his second round of shots yesterday and I wanted to take him for a ride today. Do you think it would be ok to take him to PetCo? I could hold him most of the time but would also like to let him walk a bit. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Do You think This would be ok?

I wouldn't, but that's just me personally (paranoid and over-protective!LOL).* :-\ Wait till he's got all his shots before you take him to places like PetCo/PetsMart. You just never know.

If you want to take him places to socialize him to other people etc., I took Henery to the bank, to the post office, places like that.*

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

You're so funny, MFD. Wanting to get everything under control all at once. Why, at your pace you'll have Tal's CH by the the time he's six months old and I know of only one lab who has done that!

Be patient... wait until he's had all his shots. The pet supply stores can be the worst for harboring dog baddies since dogs are allowed in the stores. You wouldn't want your little beauty picking up something another doggie had tracked in on their paws.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

You should wait until 2 weeks AFTER his final shots to take him to some place like Petco. It's just not worth the risk.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I agree, I wouldn't do it.

We had a puppy class at PetsMart, and I will never forget the poor Great Dane who came in one day with a terrible case of something and had diarrhea all over the floor. They mopped it up, but how much did they really sanitize? Don't know. Not much I'm guessing. I got Kevin to pick Angus up and carry him out.

I carry them in on occasion now, but as babies...too much they can catch. Now, if you wanted to take your own blankie and wheel him around in a cart, or carry him the whole time, that probably wouldn't be so bad.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

different people say different things. i was told to socialize and introduce something new every day to my labs. i had them in puppy kindergarten at a dog club and they didn't catch any thing. they were about 12 wks old when the classes started. i'm getting another puppy he will be around 14 1/2 wks and planning to take him to puppy kindergarten

Luke's and Midnight's mom

Samson was my only puppy and I wouldn't let him near any other dogs until he had all of his shots. I wouldn't even let him play in our "dog park" because some of the dogs had some wierd rashes and other skin and coat issues. And, as a rule, if I go anywhere with my three adult dogs and there are very young puppies around, I don't let them get together for the puppies sake. Just like people, older dogs have stronger immune symstems. So they could be carrying a virus or something that the puppy my react badly too.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

We just had a puppy with parvo at the vet where I work this week, please keep your puppy in your own yard until after he's had all his vaccinations - the extra weeks you wait to introduce him to new things outside your home will be negligible in his development compared to the effects of something like parvo.

You can introduce new toys, new sounds, new people within the home to help him develop in the meantime.

Get him used to having his ears looked at, and feet held and nails clipped (you can just act as though you're clipping them each day, only actually clipping as needed), teach him to "play" with an electric toothbrush and begin to brush his teeth daily. Show him the vaccuum cleaner and the hair dryer, let him get used to those.

Hopefully these will keep you busy until he's done with his vaccinations Good luck and enjoy this special time while he's still so tiny!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks you guys..actually you confirmed what I suspected. I just like to cover all bases and ask more experienced folks in case I missed something. Several friends and family have been by to see him...and he has had alot of human contact. One reaosn I want him in the kitchen with me is because that is where the washer and dryer are, plus whan I cook I don't want him to be afraid of a stove, toaster, microwave...

He's just a little apprehensive about the vac cleaner but that will go away with time no doubt.

So far I've kept him close, meaning in our own little yard except for the trip to the vet yesterday. So far so good.

Paddysmom...haha. I guess in one respect I wanna get everything going...but todayhas taught me something...Except for a couple of errands I have been home most of the day...don't get to do that much. And I have just enjoyed bein with him.

AngusFangus...That sounds awful and don't blame you for having your Kevin carry Angus out. I woulda done the same thing. I am going to enroll Tal in training classes at the doggy day care I will have him in one day a week...and they do not even allow puppies without documentation that they have completed all their shots. Youngest they accept is 14 weeks. Probably one reason I didn't see any sick dogs there!