Need Help to Counter Supposed Breeding Benefits

Thread: Need Help to Counter Supposed Breeding Benefits

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed Help to Counter Supposed Breeding Benefits

I'm struggling with this issue. A good friend of mine got her beagle from a BYB (because the good ones are just too expensive : ). Her hubby wants to breed their gal (who is almost two so at least they waited this long).

They have given various reasons to breed:
    1 - they want one of her pups
    2 - getting a pup from another breeder is just too expensive
    and this is the new one:
    3 - A beagle that has a litter will have mother instincts and (i suppose) more relaxed

This is a good friend so I will not break the friendship over this issue. She is also a very very giving and kindhearted person (you wouldn't believe what she does for others). But she and her hubby are gravely misguided in this particular issue.

I just need simple FACTS to throw in here and there to prove she's wrong. Can you apply the same things from labs to beagles? What are the health issues for beagles (like with labs and eyes, hips...)?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Help to Counter Supposed Breeding Benefits

Oh boy. :

I know how you feel. I have a good friend at work who has a Brittany puppy, almost six months old. The other day we were talking and she said it was time to be thinking about getting her spayed, but then she said, "I just can't decide if I want to..."

I said, "OH, you're going to do it, aren't you??"

She said, "Well, maybe...but my husband just loves to raise puppies."

:

I feel VERY strongly about not adding to the population of puppies on this earth, but like you, this is a good friend of mine so I didn't really feel like I should read her the riot act (like I would online if someone said the same thing). Maybe this makes me weak in my convictions. :-\ But I didn't think I wanted to erode our friendship over it either. Sooo...I just got what I'm sure was a really stricken look on my face and said, "Welllll...." and changed the subject. :-[

If you feel like you could give her the cons without damaging your friendship or getting overly emotional, maybe you could point out the hundreds of thousands of dogs and puppies that are euthanized each year because there is nowhere for them to go. :'( If she argues that her puppies wouldn't go the shelter, and that she would find good homes for them, you might point out that 25% of shelter dogs are purebreds (I think I read this on ASPCA the other day), and that even if her puppies do all end up in great homes, there goes 6-12 available homes for the puppies who are already here, in shelters, waiting for a home.

I can't speak for the genetic problems inherent in Beagles, but I bet someone here will be able to. I just know that I would never have a dog who wasn't spayed or neutered. It should be left to responsible breeders, period. We have to get pet overpopulation under control, and the only way to do it is one spay and neuter at a time.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Go to Lauras site http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html - she has alot of good links on breeding

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tell them that they could risk losing their beloved pet and that the cost of delivery complications and raising pups could be over $2000. A scheduled c-section can run almost $1K, one at an emergency clinic is much more. Tell her she better have $1500 set aside. It will make another pet from the breeder look like a lot better solution.

Kathryn Guest

They will spend less money on buying another pup and having it checked out to their full extent than to have a litter of puppies and take care of them right.
    It can be a scary experience along with cost. With the money they will spend on a litter of puppies they could get one VERY VERY NICE puppy from a GOOD breeder!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys, I'll try to add those tidbits of info (ex: Cost of the breedings/shots alone can easily be higher than buying a good pup) here and there. I'm trying HARD not to bombard her with all of it at once. If I go too hard too fast she's stop listening completely.

I also found some genetic testing that should be done for beagles.

Sometimes we disagree with our friends - but that doesn't mean throwing away the friendship

I'm even more annoyed because they were bringing her in to be spayed before her first heat (much to my relief) but she started the day of the operation - so no operation. Having lived thru one heat they changed their minds.

It also irks me that there are ALWAYS beagles at our local rescue. OH and I have no problems with going with a breeder - IF YOU CHOOSE A GOOD ONE!

OH and this coworker just had a litter of lab/Bernese Mountain dogs. She's letting them go at 6wks (and that's just ONE of the annoying issues on that breeding and I won't even go to the fact that she has an un-neutered male that IS KNOWN to walk around the neighbourhood). Urgh. Again I have to take it easy and breath because I don't want to cause problems at the office but MAN it's hard!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

UGH! : I know its not you who are thinking of doing this. But do you realize how many dogs are put down every day because they don't have homes. If BYBs would stop it would make a huge difference in the unwanted dog population. As far as the "mothering instincts," Oona's breeder said it doesn't happen, she said, "Why do you think they call them bitches?"
    Olie