How can I teach her the command Go get Karon...important she learn

Thread: How can I teach her the command Go get Karon...important she learn

DefaultHow can I teach her the command Go get Karon...important she learn

Yesterday morning about 4:45am mom was up wandering around and backed into Cinnamon and fell (slid)down onto the family room floor. Now mom walks with a cane and cannot get up off the floor by herself. Does Cinnamon come and get me.....NO.....does she bark to wake me up.......NO...... So you are wondering what she does do.

She licks mom's face repeatedly thinking she wants to play. Then she takes off mom's slippers as she has always tried that as a game and mom tells her no and they sort of wrestle and she gets loved on. But of course mom cannot stop her from taking the slipper so she goes in the middle of the floor bows down and growls at said slipper. Now normally the bow down and growl goes to barking at the object whether it be a bone or dog biscuit so mom figures that will wake me. But does she do this........NO. She proceeds to shred the slipper figuring mom will come take it away. After being on the floor for 25 minutes I come out to let Cinnamon out while I get ready to leave at 5:30 and find mom on the floor missing one slipper.

Dad and I got her back up on her feet and she wasn't hurt it is just with her knees she cannot get up by herself.

I have got to teach her the command go get Karon but I don't know how. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How can I teach her the command Go get Karon...important she learn

That was one of my greatest fears when my MIL & FIL were alive and living with us. If either were knocked down by the dogs, they would not be able to get up. I can't help with the training, but my MIL carried a whistle on her at all times. Several times during the night if she needed help, she would blow the whistle and we could hear it upstairs.

Brookville, Pa.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I was thinking along the same lines as Linda. A whistle is a great idea

Won't someone please feed me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh man! I can see why this would be an important command for her.

Not sure how to teach it exactly. Have you ever taught "touch?" Maybe the same way as that, except using the word "Karon." You would start by placing a treat on, well, on you, and saying "Karon!" She takes the treat. Good Cinnamon! Repeat until she's got it. Then, I guess, you would just keep backing it up, so that you are further away. Eventually it could become a game of hide and seek.

But, that would only teach her to come and touch you, which might not wake you.

Maybe the next step after hide and seek would be for you to return with her to Mom, and she doesn't get the treat until you are both together.

Does Cinnamon know "speak?" Maybe you could involve that somehow...

I know I am just randomly spilling out thoughts here. Is any of this giving you any ideas?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Or...a whistle. Yes, that would be much less labor-intensive!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I think I will suggest the whistle but I will also start with the touch thing tomorrow. Cinnamon is not suttle when she wants me at night she sits on my feet. Don't ask me why she has chosen that way to wake me up but she has. I bet we can teach her that command. My dobie learned it on her own you could say go find whoever and she would go and bring them back.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I bet it would be even more effective if you taught Go Get Karon meant a paw whack rather than a nose tap.

You could also teach Cinnamon to hit some kind of noise maker, like a doorbell or chimes...

If you do a google search for training service dogs, or seizure alert dogs, there might be some other ideas.

Anne is offline Senior Member

Hoo boy. How scary! This was always a huge concern of ours when my mother was ill. We feared that one of the dogs would knock her over. She never would have had the strength to get to back to her feet.

Karon, one of the "games" we play with the boys is "Go Find Mom (or Dad)" We started by having Mark keep the guys in a stay in an away room, and I would go hide in another room. Of course, when they found me, they got a treat. Eventually, this has morphed into one of us hiding in the woods, causing the boys to really have to look for us. And, btw, the guys "find" us everytime. You should see how excited they are when they find us!

Maybe you could try something like that with Cinnamon?

Murphy, Riley, and Piper