Saw our first city Raccon on our walk this morning

Thread: Saw our first city Raccon on our walk this morning

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultSaw our first city Raccon on our walk this morning

I guess because it is so dark when we start our walks that some of the nocturnal animals are still out. We saw our first raccoon this morning - luckily the dogs didn't get a good look or I think they would have gone nuts. The raccoon definately stood up and paid us some attention.

Anyone ever have a run in with their dog and raccoon? Not sure what the coon will do, just wondered in case we happen to come across another off the next few months.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Saw our first city Raccon on our walk this morning

If cornered, they'll attack, and they've got some mean claws. They're pretty skiddish though, and will try to escape first. We've got a lot of raccoons around here, and a lot of coyotes that prey on them. That probably explains their fear and aggression towards dogs. As for those in the city that have different predators, I don't know if they're more "tame" or not. I know the squirrels on campus are infinitely more brave than the squirrels at home.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Racoons can be very dangerous to dogs...they can attack and do serious damage. I am leery of them because of Rabies especially if I see on in the daytime. I would avoid them.

Someone on this board once mentioned that they are capable of luring dogs to water and then drowning dogs...I wonder if anyone knows anything about that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I had a hog hunter in Texas tell me that the wild Russian boars will do that (lure the dogs into a pond and drown them). Never heard that about raccoons, but it wouldn't surprise me. They're pretty smart creatures.

Our neighbors did and it was rabid. The animal control officer verified that when he came to pick it up.
    Good that your dogs didnt pay attention to it.
    My father in law was amazed that no one just went out and shot it lol...He is very old school :