WHY would she do this? WHY WHY WHY???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHY would she do this? WHY WHY WHY???

Galadriel Guest

DefaultWHY would she do this? WHY WHY WHY???

The adjustment with Ron and my two dogs has not been a smooth one. He has never lived with big dogs and has a hard time with the shedding and the damage that they do to a home. He has been patient with them and trying his best, despite when they don't listen and are constantly hungering for attention. I credit him for that.

However we have ongoing issues with Belle. She is so headstrong and willful and just DOESN'T get it. She and Ron constantly are butting heads and it usually takes a "come to Jesus" meeting for her to see it.

Well last night, I could not believe what she had done. We came home after a few hours of being out and eating dinner and I walked into our back guest room. It's one of only two rooms in our house that is carpeted. It appeared that she had thrown up on one side of the room and then a few feet away she had dug a hole clear through the carpet to its backing. There was another dig spot a few feet away from that right next to the trim. Since there were no marks on the trim we assume that rather than dig at it she just bit at it and basically tore up the carpet. The spots of puke didn't have any carpet pieces in them so I don't think she ate the carpet BEFORE she got sick.

I really don't think Cole had anything to do with it.

Ron was unusually calm and just at a loss he was so upset. The carpet we have in there isn't nice carpet but we weren't planning on the expense of replacing it and now we have that work to do. At this point, the dogs are not going to be able to have run of the house when we're not home. And of course this is literally the DAY that I donated the large crate I hadn't used for years and we sold our other two at a garage sale 2 weeks ago. So we will have to put them back in the garage with their outside run access when we aren't home. I hate that they can't be trusted but I will not risk this kind of damage to our home! And I hate that my boy Cole will have to suffer because his sister is such an idiot.

Yes, they need more exercise. I used to take them running with me but honestly it is a PITA to do that and if they see another dog it's a little scary. So I need to rededicate myself to structured exercise with them every day. We have a tiny yard, too.

Anyway, I guess I just want to vent but I just don't understand why this dog would go after carpet when she has NEVER EVER EVER done anything like this before. EVER. The only thing new with them is that I switched their dog food a week ago and she is showing signs of detox (dry skin, doggy zits, and weird poops).

Ron wants to get rid of her and to be quite honest I don't blame him for feeling the way he does. He isn't set on it. He's trying so hard to choose them and I appreciate what he's dealing with after he's worked so hard on remodeling this house....he doesn't want to see it trashed. Neither do I. Obviously I won't explore getting rid of her but that's just where he's at with it. She is a darn tough dog to deal with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: WHY would she do this? WHY WHY WHY???

Sorry to hear this, Gina.

But....I believe you said the truth. She probably needs more stimulation and/or exercise. That's a cry for some pent up energy (IMO).

Any way to take them seperately on two short walks, rather than none? And certainly rather than re-homing.

(((HUGS)))
    Brenda from Connecticut

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Can you do doggie daycare?? That's been used by a lot of people here to really knock the stuffins out of their hyper Labs.

BTW - The carpet may have been an attempt to 'bury' the vomit. Some dogs do not want their expulsion to remain and will try to hide it, I guess as a long-lost instinct to cover their tracks from predators. Not that it makes it any better, but maybe if Ron understoood the /why/ behind it..............

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Can you do doggie daycare?? That's been used by a lot of people here to really knock the stuffins out of their hyper Labs.

BTW - The carpet may have been an attempt to 'bury' the vomit. Some dogs do not want their expulsion to remain and will try to hide it, I guess as a long-lost instinct to cover their tracks from predators. Not that it makes it any better, but maybe if Ron understoood the /why/ behind it..............
    I agree with Dan here. Whenever Rory vomits he does his best to get rid of it. Usually he rubs it into the carpet (dog logic : ) using is snout and rubs it raw till it bleeds. They don't like having it around, it disgusts them or something. Maybe Belle was doing her best to get rid of it too. Or maybe she was just frustrated at lack of excerise/attention. She always has been a "special needs" dog.

Gina,
    Take a deep breath. I know it's tough but try not to let it get to you. She's a dog. A really frustrating one - that's for sure but still just a dog. I don't mean that in a negative way - I mean it in the ....dogs do weird things sometimes kind of way and since they can't talk to us - we may never know why. If she felt bad she may have wanted to eat grass or something and in her frustration she took it out on the carpet. You know she doesn't have great coping skills so who knows why she really did it.

Just get another crate and start crating her again. Cole doesn't need to be crated just because she can't be trusted.

I can't remember - did the crate make her other issues worse?

The damage issue is a big one - but damage can always be prevented. So , what to do about the shedding? It will get slightly better after the finish the detox but you know it's not goiny away. So, how can we help Ron with this one? Can you brush more often, or hoover it all up more frequently? Do you think it's a serious issue or just him venting about the hair? David gripes about it all the time -but he's just blowing off steam. I've offered to get the dog's hair nets but I think they'd look pretty silly wearing a full body net.

Seriously, hang in there. A new married life is always an adjustment and it can be really stressful for the non-animal person coming into the living arrangement.

She's going through an adjustment period, too. AND, if she can feel any sorts of animosity from you or Ron towards her, things will only get worse.

I suggest step up the time YOU spend with her, walk her and work on her training and crate her when you are not with her. I agree with Dina, Cole doesn't need to be crated if he isn't a problem. I have one crated at home right now but the others are not.

As for the shedding, she's a lab ... also, my guys have been shedding worse than ever this year as this summer was horrid. You might have to step up the vaccuming to keep Ron happy. To me, my furkids are worth it!!

She needs some adjustment time to her new life, too!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Gina....honestly, they feel that he isn't a dog person. They are going to react to him. He needs to make an effort to help in their care or they will NEVER listen to him. You need to pay more attention to them. There is no way around it. Belle is scared of upheval...that is why she did what she did.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I agree with ZoeZoe. Your dogs' lives have been turned upside down lately, they are now living with a new person who apparently really doesn't care for them, and by your own admission they are not getting much exercise. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Also, if you are feeling "put in the middle" then you are probably more tense than normal, and the dogs will pick up on that too.

Give them lots of exercise and attention, and crate the dog who can't be trusted when you are not with them.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

BTW - The carpet may have been an attempt to 'bury' the vomit.
    I definitely agree with this and it's the first thing I thought of. She knows Ron doesn't like her (like Dani said - dogs KNOW) and she was probably trying to hide it from him

She's going through an adjustment period, too. AND, if she can feel any sorts of animosity from you or Ron towards her, things will only get worse.
    Absolutely.

Please don't get rid of her. God I hate that term.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Samson is offline Senior Member

Please don't blame the dogs

You know I am right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast