Happy Gotcha Day Jack you silly old pirate
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Gotcha Day Jack you silly old pirate

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHappy Gotcha Day Jack you silly old pirate

The day after Red died in 2001 we started to look for another Lab in rescue looking for a nice couch to occupy. We looked at six Labs who either took one look at walked away or treated us like furniture. About a week later we saw a Lab on The Internet that reminded us of Red and got put on a waiting list. About the same time Lake Erie Lab Rescue e-mailed us about a young yellow Lab in Animal Control custody in Bowling Green,Ohio. The photo showed a very pissed looking Lab leashed to a chain link fence. Meanest looking Lab I have ever seen. We were asked to go have a look at him. Animal Control closed at 5pm and we just did not have time to get to Bowling green before they closed. On Thursday we were told we could drive up into western Michigan on Saturday to look at the Internet Lab.

Friday night on the way home from yet another long day at work and not being able to drive down to Bowling green I decided not to drive to BG on Saturday but just drive over to western Michigan instead. Almost immediately upon coming to that conclusion I became very ill. Broke out in a sweat. Felt light headed horrible abdominal cramps and nausea. After about an hour of sitting on the toilet with my head in a trash can I decided there was no way we could drive four hours on Saturday to look at the Internet Lab and drive four hours back. If I felt better Saturday morning we would drive the thirty minutes to Bowling Green and look at the Animal Control Lab instead.

Almost immediately upon having that thought I felt better. No cramps, headache, light headedness or nausea. Gone. Completely gone. I felt fine.

Saturday morning the 15th we drove to BG. As son as we identified ourselves as being sent by Lake Erie Lab Rescue, the Animal Control Officer said Thank God for Rescue! and took us back to see the no name young yellow male Lab. He was in a small cell and was spy hopping to see who was in the room. He helped get himself leashed and we were taken to a room where we could be with him. He immediately went to the toy box, selected a toy brought it to me for inspection and then laid down on the floor next to me with his head draped over my legs and happily chewed on the toy. Wife later said it was the first time in two weeks she saw any life in my eyes.

The Lab was big. Felt like about 90 pounds. Young. Really a very big puppy. He was found in a school yard not far from the Interstate. Healthy looking except for a swollen eye ball. Did not appear he had much sight in the eye. Friendly fellow, but strong. I was not sure Wife would be able to control him. We were still on the list for the other dog. I asked about his stay. The officer told me he had been there for three weeks. Three families had looked at him but were not interested in a large yellow male with eye problems. How soon do you think he will find his forever home? I asked. She looked me square in the eye and whispered Thursday morning he goes to the land fill. There is no way I could ever look at somebody and say I believe in Lab Rescue if I did not pull this Lab. "Wrap him up I said. We'll take him."

We drove straight away to our Vet's who looked him overand gave him his shots. Vet thought he was between three and four years old. We contacted LabMed and they paid for his first eye surgery and he was snipped at the same time.Unfortunately, secondary Glaucoma set in about six months later and his eye was removed. That has not slowed him down. He still can catch a fly ball and enjoys doing agility, a sport he just started. In August he passed his CGC and Therapy Dog evaluation.

Hard to believe it has been five years. we have had many adventures the past five years he and I. When I think about it, I wonder the reason Red was struck down so suddenly. He was an elder dog with congestive heart failure and arthritis. Jack was young and healthy but facing a death sentence because he was a no collar-no tag-no microchip stray with a bad eye. I doubt it was fate or a coincidence.

Happy Gotcha Day Jack. I hope you have many more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Happy Gotcha Day Jack you silly old pirate

What a tuching story! I'm so glad you gave him a home. Have a great day Jack!

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What a beautiful story of what was meant to be.

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY JACK!!!!!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

What a sweet story. Bless you for taking in Jack and giving him a chance to fill your life w/ love.

Happy Gotcha Day Jack!

Wonderful story

Blondedog Guest

Happy Gotcha Day Jack.

Beautiful story. Happy Gotcha Day Jack.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Happy Gotcha Day Jack! What a great story.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast