How do you teach a dog to shut the door?

Thread: How do you teach a dog to shut the door?

DefaultHow do you teach a dog to shut the door?

We've been doing some remodeling, and put in a new back door. We've had it just sitting open sometimes, going in and out.

I thought I'd try teaching Tucker to close it with his nose, if possible. I tried today......HAAAHAAA....boy did I look stoopid. ;D

Poor guy didn't 'get it' at all; he had that alert, sumpin'-new's-goin'-on look, all alert and watching, ears moving to beat the band, but I didn't know how to show him right. Instead of closing the door, he just went in and out of it. ;D

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How do you teach a dog to shut the door?

Try teaching him "touch command" first. Took Mischa 1/2 hour for that and then work on touching the door.

Hold your finger out as a target and say touch. Put it to his nose and reward. Keep doing that until he gets putting his nose to your finger is touch. Then put your finger on the door and say touch. Get the drift? Works well with a lot of tricks. Once the touch command has been mastered, get him to nudge the door using touch and reward. When he will push on the door then you can change the the command to "touch close the door". Eventually to just close the door.
    I'm at the pushing on the door stage with Mischa. Everything in stages. Hope this helps. I'm no dog trainer but it works well
    Pat

Pat, thanks

He knows the touch command. I never thought about using it with the door, but I'll work on that....thanks again

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Sounds like something new to teach my guys as well!!