Daneen's post about training got me thinking about what your Lab's best
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daneen's post about training got me thinking about what your Lab's best

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultDaneen's post about training got me thinking about what your Lab's best

strength and weakness is in regards to what you have trained them to do?

Strength....Lucy and Cricket have wonderful recall both with voice and hand signals. I need it to be great because we spend so much time off leash. Practice makes almost perfect

Weakness...Lucy is horrible on leash unless there are absolutely no distractions. Prong is needed. Since we live on a quiet dirt road and she is hardly ever on leash..we don't practice enough to make it a habit. So we stink at loose lead and polite walking. Yeajh, she will polite walk in a training class, but that is about it, not in real life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Daneen's post about training got me thinking about what your Lab's best

Let's start with the good ~ Sami is excellent off leash and on. In fact, the last two days she's walked several miles with me off leash. Today she took off after a deer but stopped when I called her and came right back. ;D She walks well on a leash too.

And now the bad ~ Sami has just recently forgotten the meaning of the word "stay". : I was practicing with her in an open field and she kept breaking her stay to follow me. We are definitely going to be stepping up the (re)training on this one. Grrrr...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Daneen's post about training got me thinking about what your Lab's best

Hey, what a fun subject for a post!

OK, Angus first: Well, I guess his strength would be his pop-up stand. It's the thing he does at Show n Gos that always makes whoever sees it go "WOW!" He also has a very enthusiastic recall, but his fronts are hot and cold.

Angus' weaknesses include : Heeling. He forges. And stays. In class, he is awesome. With distractions, he is awesome. I can dance wildly about, waving my arms, jumping up and down, throwing a ball, and he'll never break. But put him in a three-minute down with nothing else going on, and he will find a way to entertain himself. :

Simon's strength is, ironically, stay. I believe I could put him in a group stay right now, and he'd never move a muscle. He FREEZES. Like he would not DARE even BLINK. It's amazing. In fact, I will bet you that he could do the OUT OF SIGHT stay, right this minute. No sweat.

His weakness is, believe it or not, sit. First of all, it's the sloppiest puppy sit you've ever seen. Secondly, he only holds it for a couple of seconds before he melts down to the ground, like the Wicked Witch of the West after they pour the water on her.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yep, good topic.

Tucker hasn't taken obedience classes; I've trained him for things I wanted him to know and do.

His best strength is staying in the yard. To me, that's a real strength, and important. I have to say, though, in the past couple of weeks, he's left the yard twice....once to go see a new puppy at the neighbors, and once went way up in a back field where he's not s'posed to be (someone just told me today we have a bear with 2 cubs around here, so I'm just gonna think he smelled that bear and went to investigate). All in all though, staying in the yard. He has the freedom he wants, and even if there's 2-3 dogs in the neighbor's yard, he'll watch them from the yard, or the deck. When we leave the yard to go to the field across from us, or to the pond swimming...at the end of the yard, I put him onleash 'til we get to either of those places. It's just to remind him he's to be onleash when he leaves the yard...a reinforcer in my mind. When he gets to the end of the yard, or driveway, he stops and waits for me to put the leash on.

His biggest weakness is walking onleash, 'cause he hardly ever has to. We went to a local 'dog day' Sat., with rally, obedience, conformation, agility....it was neat to see. But he pulled me quite a bit (but I took my secret weapon...boiled chicken for an attention treat!) So many smells and other dogs and people to see. I know I need to work on this more by taking him out more onleash. Like Molly, we live where he doesn't have to be onleash.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Best strength: She minds me at the beach. This is a must because all dogs must be under their owners' control. She always knows where I am and is great off leash. She does not mind other dogs or humans at the beach.

She also has very good sits. During classes, our trainer said Zoe's command is "sit." And if I say sit, she has to plop her butt on the ground, without hestation. She's pretty good at it, too, except if we have guests, then she has to grab a toy and do her wiggle butt. But she no longer jumps! Yay!

Walking on a loose lead is improving dramatically. I now take her walking w/her flat collar...no prong or choke chain. Her collar is on very, very loose to the point where if she backs up, she can slip right out of it.

Weakness: anything w/cat distractions. We're working on this.
    Another weakness: Zoe often times has selective hearing.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Okay -

Otis - best at "Leave it". He won't touch any food - even if it's right in front of him - until I release him. He's great at stay too!!! Oh - and he's awesome on a leash too.

Max - well now.....my big rescued menace. He's just GREAT at snuggling. Seriously - he's the most affectionate beast on the planet. When he's off leash in my yard, he walks so close to my leg, he actually rubs right up against it. However, when he's on a leash - he's all OVER the place, left - right; cuts ya off...it's terrible. But.."LOYAL" is his middle name.

Stella - she's VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY food motivated. Well who's dog isn't - you ask??? I've never seen anything like it in my life. So, with that said, she'll do anything for food. Without it..........well now, that's a different story.
    Brenda from Connecticut

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'm not really bragging here.. but my dog's have too many strengths to mention...

But I can tell you their weakness.

Ruger JUMPS ON PEOPLE!!! I have never broken him of this. It's embarrasing... knowing that he is a competitive obedience dog. Truly embarassing

Magnum... totally blows me off. She has zilch recall. She knows she can frustrate the hell out of me, and she does it daily.

But heh, I still love 'em both to pieces

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi at 7 months has several strength's, given the only training she has had is with me. Her strength's are good loose leash walking, even after not being on a walk for several day's r/t her heat cycle, she did great yesterday with a short walk around the block. Good stays when waiting to be realeased for her food dish. Good sit/stays almost anytime, except when those pesky squirrels want to play-lol. Things we need to work on, counter surfing and jumping on grandma when she comes over, mom says this is not the way to greet people you love!! ;D

ILoveBuddy is offline Senior Member

Buddy has been thru Basic and Intermediate Obedience classes, and we just started Therapy dog training on Tuesday. I just taught him "SLOW" both for taking treats and going out the door. He'll sit back and wait until I tell him OK ;D He is awesome when he is on lead as far as all commands (including hand signals) except for maybe "stand". But he won't stay in a stay at home when he is off lead. He just can't stand the fact of not being under my feet at all times if possible, and as quickly as he can

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Daneen's post about training got me thinking about what your Lab's bestSPEAK

Puff (YF, AKC HT/FT field line, 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01):

SIT: (hand or voice command) 98% reliable

DOWN: (hand or voice command) 98% reliable

STAY: (in a down position) 95% (but can break when she sees me reappear)

SHAKE (\water off): 30%?* Often takes 2-3 repetitions to get the proper response

BACK: (move farther away from me in the direction I point to the rear) 95%

SPEAK: (hand signal or voice command)* maybe 90%

LEAVE IT: (maybe 85% immediately effective on voice command)

GIVE: about 99% effective

HEEL: we haven't worked on this much, maybe 30% effective?

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast