Help!! Henery got stung by a bee!! Benadryl dose??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Henery got stung by a bee!! Benadryl dose??

DefaultHelp!! Henery got stung by a bee!! Benadryl dose??

Of course the monkey was trying to catch and eat said bee at the time.

His poor left lip is swollen and hard, right in the area where his whiskers are. His lip is puffed out, maybe an inch thicker than it would normally be and he's licking and itching it.

I'm going to give him some Benadryl (25mg)... he's 65lbs... so what do you figure, 2 tabs? 3 tabs?? Will it make him sleepy?

Thanks, in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help!! Henery got stung by a bee!! Benadryl dose??

When Cinder takes Benadryl she is allowed to take up to two 25 mg tablets. She weighs about 73 lbs. And yes she does get sleepy.....I consider this a perk. It's hard to catch any more bees when your sleeping! ;D

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Poor Henery! Lucy has gotten stung a few times. I did 2 capsules, but I called my Vet first to be sure of the dosage.
    And be sure it is straight Benedryl...not the cold stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

OH man, that sucks!* I did three for Zoe; she's about 69 (when I "thought" she got stung).* I think they say 1mg per pound. Zoe did not get sleepy.

Is your vet still open? Can you find the stinger?

Look for other symptoms, okay?* vomitting, runs....lethargy.* Zoe had these symptoms when she tried to eat the bee at the beach.* She needed to get an injection of something (antihistimine? sp), and her blood didn't coagulate!*

Good thoughts for Henery!* Hope he's not allergic.* Keep us posted.

Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

I gave to to Deacon last year when he got stung - he was 65 lbs at the time

As Linda said watch for other symptoms - as well as excessive swelling

What you really need to watch for is a swelling in the throat that can block the airway. This is what kills people and I would guess dogs in an allergic reaction. Antifalactic (sp) shock is what it is called, the shot you get to stop it is a mix of adrenaline and some steriod, the famous Empi-Pen of those of us who have those problems.

BTW saying that word in an ER will get a human attention right now, several times I've had the shot and then they ask if I have insurance. ;D If there is any breathing problems get the emergency vet on the phone STAT.

I would call your vet to be sure, but I believe the Giffin and Carlson book says up to 2mg/lb. Most people recommend 1mg/lb, but you can give more for acute reactions. I would double check for you, but I'm out of town and not near my book.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Felicia, I'm posting these pics as reference:
    hard to see, but Zoe's face was very lumpy just after I brought her home from the vet. Wish I had taken some pics right after the sting for reference purposes. She was a mess.

8 hours later, most of the lumpiness disappeared, except for the top of her muzzle.
    By then, she was running around.

Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Thanks everyone!*

Our vet said 2 tabs of the adult Benadryl (which is the 25mg, right? I think the kid one is 12.5mg) and to call her if he's still remarkably swollen tomorrow.

He's otherwise feeling his goofy monkey self, running around, and gobbled down his dinner like usual. The swelling seems to be localized where he got stung. I'll see if I can find the stinger... oh boy. Daycare said they saw the bee/wasp? fly away afterwards.

Linda, he isn't half as swollen as the lump on Zoe's muzzle...

I'm watching him like a hawk, of course... but I'm nervous because daycare is closed tomorrow and he'll be home alone.* *:-\

If he's going to go into anaphylactic shock, it'll be sooner rather than later, right??

Doesn't that make you feel awful that you can't help them more? Yuma just got into a whole nest of bees this past Sunday while I was mowing grass. I looked over and he was COVERED in bees I sprayed them off with the garden hose and ran to the phone for the emergency vet he said 1mg per pound of weight. so Yuma weighs about 85 lbs the vet said give 100mg because he had so many stings. His poor eyes were even swollen shut and in his ears! I felt awful but the Bendryl worked really fast and he was very "stoned" the rest of the day. He slept alot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast