Have you ever seen or felt the presence of a dog that has passed away?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever seen or felt the presence of a dog that has passed away?

DefaultHave you ever seen or felt the presence of a dog that has passed away?

This may be a strange and somewhat eerie topic but I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
    The afternoon after I had to put my old Jake to sleep we returned home to upset to do anything but lie down. I was really hurting with the grief when suddenly I felt a warm soft fur brush against my arm. At once I felt better and came to grips with my loss for I realized the Jake was there watching after me. It has not occurred since but I feel that some part of Jake is still here in Duke.
    One thing Jake used to do all of the time was to get trapped in a little used guest room. Any time the door was not completely shut Jake, for some reason, would push the door open and go into that room. The door was one of those that would swing slowly shut so Jake could not push it open. He would just sit there without making a sound waiting for us to come let him out. We would soon notice his absence and we always knew where to find him.
    Remember the story about how we got Duke. Duke, as a very young puppy, met Jake in the Vets office just a few weeks before Jake passed away. I remember them meeting and thinking one life going, a new life coming. I got a call from the Vet seven weeks after Jake passed asking me if I could take Duke. The owners remembered meeting us and they had to find a new home for Duke. Of course I could not refuse, it was fate.
    Just the second day after we brought Duke home, he was about 7 months old, I couldn't find him in the house. I called, no response. You guessed it. I eventually found him sitting, without making a sound, in that guest room with the door swung shut.
    Since then he has done that on several occasions.
    The remarkable thing is that most any other dog that might become trapped in a room would certainly bark, whine or scratch at the door wouldn't you think?.
    Some things just can't be explained.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Have you ever seen or felt the presence of a dog that has passed away?

I can't say I've experienced what you have. I've certainly felt the absense of my dogs that are gone, and found myself doing things for awhile after they were gone (opening the door automatically to let them out).

What a lovely, poignant story.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Have you ever seen or felt the presence of a dog that has passed away?

I most definitely think they make their presence known.

Two months after my family dog was put to sleep (she was 12 and very ill). I "felt" her jump up on the end of my bed. As clear as day.

I felt the end of the mattress go down, and I felt her turn in her circle and lie with me.

I believe what you "felt".

They're with us.
    Brenda from Connecticut

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

On two separate occasions, I saw a yellow lab out the window, about 50' away. Since there are no other yellows in the neighborhood, I ran out to see if he/she had a collar, but both times the yellow lab was just nowhere to be seen. I like to think my precious Kasa (YF mix 1990-2002) came back for a visit.

Kathryn Guest

Okay stick with me its going to be long and I am going to start crying.
    When I had to put Bailey down I could feel her soul leaving her body. I was sitting on the cement floor of their kennel room at the vet and the tech helped me put her in my lap. That was her fav place to be when I was sitting on the floor. She would climb into my lap and sit with me. As they were injecting the stuff and it started taking effect I ask God to take my sweet baby and keep her safe. At that very moment I could feel her leaving me it started in my lower back and went all the way up my body. I have NEVER felt that before and have never felt it again.
    3 months later I brought Dakota home. She was my Birthday present to myself, I never thought I would get another dog. One day I told my mom I wanted a puppy and I wanted to name HIM Bart. We got a little and named her Dakota meaning friend because thats what I needed at the time.
    A few days after Dakota was home I looked at her belly and she has an extra nipple just like Bailey did in the EXACT spot that Bailey did. I cried for days after that.
    Then in May when we had to put Annie down it was really hard. The morning we put Annie down I told my mom her eyes looked empty and blank, that I thought her soul was already gone that there was nothing more that could have been done. I held Annie's head when we put her down and I didn't feel her leave.

I have NEVER told anyone else but my mother this..
    I have both Bailey's and Annie's ashes on my dresser in my bedroom. Every night about the same time Dakota will go to that side of the dresser and bark. Ever since the day she came home she has done that. I go sit with her and tell her its alright there is nothing in here that can hurt her. She then calms down and will go to bed.
    many many nights right after we put both Bailey and Annie down I would wake up in the middle of the night and there would be a green light by my door. One morning I told my mom about it and she said its probably the fire alarm. So the next night again it was there. I got up and opened my bedroom door and there is NO way it could be the fire alarm. It couldn't have come in he windows because I close the window coverings at night...............

I think about them both very often for no real reason at all. Someone here at JL told me one time that when we think of our lost puppies they are usually right by our sides thinking about us also. I have found MUCH comfort in this many many times! Who ever you are that told me that THANK YOU so much!!!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I thought I was the only one. Shortly after we had to have Shadow put to sleep due to leukemia I swear I "saw" her walk through the dining room. I cried so much for her in the days following her passing. I just felt her in the house.
    It was also fate how we got Molly because she had some of Shadow's lines in her too.
    I only saw the glimpse of my Shadow two more times after we got Molly.
    She will always live on in my heart but I felt that once I opened up my heart to Molly & was not as sad, she could go to the bridge in peace.
    I'm so glad you shared your story here. I know there must be more also.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When my beloved Bess (BF, AKC bench line, 55 lbs., 1967-81) passed away, I felt the house "shrieked silence" and absence for months.*And also for months, occasionally I'd see one of her inner hairs (the thin kind that are shaped like ----/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-----) float through the air.

Michael Fox, DVM, who's written a # of "dog" books writes in his "Superdogs" about a family that was saved from a fire by being aroused in the middle of the night by their family dog after it had died some months earlier.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

No you aren't the only one.* ;D

I had to put my Rottie down unexpectedly. I went into a deep depression.* I heard something at the door every night (the same time Thor always asked to be let in). during the first months. At first I said I didn't want another dog but eventually I couldn't stand the quietness of the house.* I started looking at dogs on the internet but I couldn't bring myself to get another Rottie.* Eventually I found a local Lab rescue and saw Murray's picture.* His eyes called to me.* I decided to adopt him but felt guilty about getting another dog so soon after Thor's death.* I questioned my decision even on the way to pick him up.* I was discussing it with my SU when we turned down the street where Murray's foster mom lived.* On the corner is a large commerical building with the name "THOR" on it.* I was stunned.* Was Thor telling me not to adopt Murray?* I wasn't sure.*

We picked up Murray and took him home.* He tore thru the house, up and down the stairs, checking out anything and everything.* He ran up to the table I have in the entry way where a number of family pictures set.* He looked at each picture then laid his head on the table and lovingly gazed at one in particular.* It was the last photo I had taken of Thor just 4 weeks before he died.* My SU and I looked at each other in shock.* At that point, we knew Thor sent Murray to us. We watched as Murray gazed at that picture for what seemed like forever.* I'm sure he was talking with Thor.* During the following weeks Murray stopped to gaze at the picture numerous times.*

Several times after first adopting Murray, I'd wake up in the middle of the night to find a dark dog with dark eyes watching me sleep.* *As my eyes adjusted and I became more fully awake, I could see the features change from Thor's dark features to Murray's yellow face. I think Thor was checking in on me.* Murray also would bark at the back door at the same time I used to hear Thor knock on it. These things happened a lot during the first year.* It hasn't happened in awhile now so I think Thor has handed the reins to Murray.

The eeriest thing though came when I looked at Murray's papers from the County shelter (who originally picked him up as a stray).* He was picked up on the same day I put Thor down.* He was in the county system, then in the rescue org system for 8 weeks (due to health issues) while I was trying to decide if/when I wanted to get another dog.* I think Thor had Murray wait for me.* ;D

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I have had childhood cats make their presence to me after they passed away. After I lost my Smuger, I often see brief glimpses of him..in his favorite spot or walking down the hall...the cats that I cared the most about and had the deepest connection with are the ones that have made their presence. With me, he visits stop though as the grief subsides.

dare1969 Guest

i just recently had to put down my Shi tzu and Lhasa I had for 11 years (there were both 14 when they passed). I rescued both of them from a woman who couldn't care for them any longer. Both were raised together since they were puppies. they could not go anywhere with out the other and always had to be touching. Each was the opposite of each other.

I had to have the Shi tzu (Munchkin) put to sleep in Feb of this year, and the Lhasa (Licorice) shortly after in May.

To this day, I still hear Muchkin sniff (becuase of her shi tzu nose) sometimes and every so often I can hear Licorice give her happy whine.

There deaths a still very raw to me, but when I hear those sounds I feel comforted to know that they are still around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast