Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food

DefaultFood

I guess I need some help in the food area. We have Denali (6mo old) on Science Diet, Dakota (2.5yrs) on Eukanba all natural lamb and rice.

I'm told - by people on this board- that SD is crap....more or less...The breeder and the vet both recommended SD..so i guess i need some guidance on what to feed them

We have a family friend who owns a pet store (mostly fish and such) but also carries INNOVA dog food. Which gets great accolades from different websites and vets. Also supposed to help with the shedding......Should i switch them both to that????

i really appreciate all the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food

If ppl here say SD is crap :, I don't care. I've switched Emma into SD 1½ year ago and that's the best thing I've ever done! She will continue eat SD her whole life, whatever ppl here says..... ;D

So If you feel better give both of your babies the same food do it, give Denali Eukanuba too....

Remember that there will always be ppl that say one dogfood is crap - another is the best, meanwhile some other ppl have another opinion....
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Katy Guest

If your labs are doing well on SD, then leave them on it. Don't mess with success. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok Kristina,

I'm here now. Hopefully we can get some good responses. We aren't trying to be bad lab parents. I love my little guy and want the best for him.

Andi

Everybody, Please remember that we are trying t be good moms!

Where do you find Innova? Does it really help with shedding?

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

We have been using Royal Canin, they have a Labrador formula. My labbies like it,and their coats are looking good. The cost is comparable to most premium brands at about a buck a pound. I've used other brands in the past with my other dogs, but this seems to be the brand for these two.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Katy Guest

Of course you're trying to be good moms. Nobody said you weren't. Different foods work with different dogs. You shouldn't switch unless you feel that the situation could be improved. You know you're dogs best, if they are good and healthy, then SD is working for them and you shouldn't bother with what others may say.

Andi-

check out Brigetta's mom's post abu the links to Puppy food. I clicked on the first one and was surprised that the third post down or so from chocolatecoveredlab used Innova....A family friend has a aquarium/pet store in town and he recommended it to us, but we thought we were ok with SD and Eukanuba(apparently not) I called this morning to get the name so I could post it on here....and they also told me about a gravy to put on the Innova called Shed-ex that helps too....

So i'm trying to find out if Innova is ok....i don't mind switching the dogs and if it's good for them....Just need some assistance!!!

Thanks

there is hope for us yet Andi!!!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It is hard to recommend just one brand. This website is good for looking at and comparing ingredients;

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

It also gives you a good idea of what is available on the market.

This website will give you a good idea of what to look for and what to avoid;

www.dogfoodproject.com

Just to clarify my statement so I don't offend anyone. Everyone on the website is a good puppy parent because even if we are doing the wrong thing we are trying to correct it. And like Katy said different food works best for different dogs. Kristina I hope that you knew that I didn't think you were a bad lab mom! We al llove our labs like family so none of us are bad parents by any means!

I have been thinking about switching because of his shedding situation. I thought there might be a food that could help that. Hank is just picky about the dog food he likes. I don't know why ??? If he sees food fall from a cabinet it doesn't matter what it is and he will eat it. He has eaten just about any kind of veggie imaginable because he sits by my feet while I am cooking and stares at me. I laugh that he is willing the food to fall it and it usually works.

OH FUN.. Good news finally... I went on the dog food analysis page that you linked and clicked on teh analysis page and started at the 6star food..and Innova is on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the top actually!!!!! I'm excited ..but it looks like it's not good for puppies...espcially large breed.. wonder if they have a puppy formula.. i'll check it out...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast