Strange question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange question...

DefaultStrange question...

Ok you can laugh if you want but I'm going to ask anyway...

Hank will be 1 in less than 2 weeks and still doesn't hike his leg when he pees. Is that normal? Should he have learned that by now and if so how do you teach a dog that? Am I just a weirdo for worrying and actually asking this question?

Like I said laugh if you want! Cause my boyfriend laughs and me! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Strange question...

Jacob is five and still only lifts occasionally. Some dogs never do. It seems like if you tried to teach it, you'd get kinda...umm...wet.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Like Jenn said...some do, some don't. Rider does most of the time...but didn't until he was about 14 months old. He still does squat upon occassion.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is he neutered? I think sometimes if they are neutered they don't feel the need to mark. Gunny just turned 1, he occasionally would lift his leg. Now that he's neutered he never does...he does sort of a lunge pee. LOL

Leg lifting is (most of the time) a learned behavior. If you want him to hike his leg, let him play with other male dogs...they'll more than likely begin a "pee war" within a few minutes. That being said, my 3 yr old intact boy only lifts his leg to mark, he squats to actually pee.

As mentioned up thread, some neutered boys have no need to mark.

He is not neutered yet but I want him to be! (I feel it would be better so that he doesn't try to run as much)

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    Jacob is five and still only lifts occasionally. Some dogs never do. It seems like if you tried to teach it, you'd get kinda...umm...wet.
    That is too funny! ;D

I honestly would prefer if he didn't mark his territory because that was one reason I did not want a male dog. It is very nice to be able to take him places and not have to worry about him peeing everywhere. I just didn't want him to be abnormal.

The strangest thing is that he recently started walking while he is going. I just don't get waht he is thinking! ???

Otis is 9 and the most he'll do is a half leg lift if he's wedged himself against a bush. 99.9% of the time he streches his body waaaayyyy out and spreads his back legs out so his back end is close to the ground.

Happy's always hiked, but he wasn't fixed until after I recieved him from the rescue shelter. Don't have any advice but I did want to share a funny story.

I grew up with a boxer (Love the Boxers!!) She marked her territory!! It was so funny! Of course she didn't hike her leg, she's smell and then kick both her hind legs up in the air and swing her botom half around to pee on whatever she wanted to mark! ;D

I was wondering the same thing..when do they start to life a leg to pee? I've heard different things..one being that if you nueter them too soon they will never lift a leg???

Denali is almost 6 months....and he too walks when he pees, most of the time..i'ts like he doesn't have time to waste...LOL

Males lift their legs in order to mark an object so an immature or neutered male does not have that "need" to mark a territory. Duke will still occasionally lift his leg but for serious peeing he will squat. My funny little mixed Spaniel, Freckles, is really funny. He will start to pee and lift one leg slightly off the ground. During his pee he will get tired and lower that leg then raise the other, again, just slightly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast