Why is she so scared?????

Thread: Why is she so scared?????

DefaultWhy is she so scared?????

Mischa is 9 months old. In the last 2-3 weeks she has become jumpy and even scared of things that never bothered her before or that she basically ignored. For example, she used to love chewing paper and now a paper ruffling sends her into the next room. No one has chased her with a paper so why is this happening now. She is really jumpy with other things as well. Plastic bags, except when I'm picking up poop on a walk, any strange object, and other weird things.

Is this a phase they go through? How do I desensitize her?
    Pat

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why is she so scared?????

My understanding is that labs go through a "fear period." Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that somewhere around 9 months is about the right timing for this to occur. You should just ignore it and not comfort her because this encourages the fearful behavior. Just carry on like she is reacting normally.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

My understanding is that labs go through a "fear period." Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that somewhere around 9 months is about the right timing for this to occur. You should just ignore it and not comfort her because this encourages the fearful behavior. Just carry on like she is reacting normally
    I agree fear period. If you "baby" her right now you'll teach her the being afraid is appropriate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Yup. Nine months is classic for the fear-drive to kick in. Best to not let her get away with believing that the entire world is collapsing around her ears, which is how she's apt to act about now..........

The worst two words you can use when she cowers: "It's okay." Basically, what you're saying (or, put the other way, that the message she's receiving) is that her trembling is 'okay', which it's not.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sadie is almost 5yrs and she still hates the sound of a trashbag or a Walmart sack :...no clue why. She also is jumpy sometimes and I find it quite funny. ;D

Thanks, I knew there were "fear periods", but I couldn't remember when.
    Pat

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I wonder why they go through this fear period?

Zoe did; at about 9 months also. Her worse fear was filled black trash bags. She got over it.

She's still afraid of the ironing board. :
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[