Is there a difference in coats on fixed dogs and non-fixded dogs. Thoughts?

Thread: Is there a difference in coats on fixed dogs and non-fixded dogs. Thoughts?

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs there a difference in coats on fixed dogs and non-fixded dogs. Thoughts?

I read a brief article yesterday about the difference in coats on dogs who have been fixed. It was saying that most dogs hair thickens up and becomes coarse, it grows in places it never did before or can sometimes do the opposite, become really soft and almost too silky.

Does anyone out there with a dog of each "persuasion" have any thoughts on this? I am really intrigued with the idea, I'm not sure how much stock to put behind it, but am curious all the same.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is there a difference in coats on fixed dogs and non-fixded dogs. Thoughts?

I've never heard this. I am really not sure. I know it didn't affect my dogs coats.

Maybe a breeder or someone will chip in.

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is there a difference in coats on fixed dogs and non-fixded dogs. Thoughts?

My desexed girl has a softer, shorter coat than my undesexed boy. I think it's coincidence though, her coat was the same before she was desexed as it is now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

My spayed girl (Aly) has a much, much softer coat than my neutered boy (Jacob). In my case, I think it is because Jacob has better breeding and is closer to the breed standard. My understanding is that the breed standard is a thick, coarse, double coat.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Katy Guest

Rory was neutered at 6 months- Rio closer to around 6 yrs. Their coats are very different. Rory's is silky and rather thin. Rio's is very thick, with lots of undercoat and a slight wave. They aren't related and have no idea of either's breeding, but it also might have something to do with the time neutered.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katy
    Rory was neutered at 6 months- Rio closer to around 6 yrs. Their coats are very different. Rory's is silky and rather thin. Rio's is very thick, with lots of undercoat and a slight wave. They aren't related and have no idea of either's breeding, but it also might have something to do with the time neutered.
    Hmmm; Zoe was spayed at 6 months. Her coat is coarse, short hair, not too much undercoat.
    Lady (rescue) was spayed at 4 years; she did have at least one litter. Longer wavy hair; lots of undercoat.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Never heard this and don't believe it.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Never heard this and don't believe it.
    Actually me either.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[