Need some Help

Thread: Need some Help

DefaultNeed some Help

First - Im new here and my name is Dave. Im new to labs so these may sound like dumb questions.

Second - Is 9 months old to old to start training a dog for duck hunting? He has basic commands down and heels fairly well.

Third - What are some sure signs of hip displasia? I have had him to 2 vets and neither took exrays.

I really love this dog and dont wanna get rid of him but want one that I can train for duck hunting. If he has the hip displasia, about how much is the operation to fix it if at all possible. I just dont know what to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need some Help

31 views and noone can tell me anything? :

You are probably not getting many responses bc I don't think many people frequent the board who have hunting labs..I could be wrong. Anyway, I don't, but I would think just based upon training a pet labrador that 9 months would not be too young at all. You probably could have started at 6 months. Again, I really have no clue but that is my opinion bc everyone on here usually starts training their labs in some shape or form as soon as they come home.
    As far as hip problems. Where did you buy your dog? Did you get papers from the breeder as well as the health certificates? If you did not (be it whether you recused your lab or just bought from a shoddy source) then you just have to wait to see about hip problems. Why are you concerned? Is your lab showing some signs of being sore in the legs or something? I have heard (and again, I am no expert) that IF a dog has hip dysplasia that it usually shows up around 2 years old. To be honest I also have no idea what corrective surgery can be done at that point. Why did you take the dog to the vet and what did the vet say? Did you express these concerns to the vet? You can find a LOT of info online regarding this problem and how it is dealt with.
    Are you seriously considering NOT KEEPING your dog??? If you wanted a hunting dog, you should have contacted a good breeder in your area who specializes in that and got a dog there. Is this what you did? I am assuming not bc you would not have these questions then.
    No questions are dumb questions!!! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hi Dave. You will get more responses if you post this in the Hunting section.

Second - Is 9 months old to old to start training a dog for duck hunting? He has basic commands down and heels fairly well.
    No, 9 months is definitely not too old for field training. My Joker was 18 months when he started his training. You just need to be aware of any bad habits your dog has picked up.

One of the best things you can do is contact and join your local Lab/hunt club. They are always a great source of information. You will get to talk to and train with both novices and pro's AND make use of the clubs facilities. Field training is not something you should do alone especially if it is your first time.

Third - What are some sure signs of hip displasia? I have had him to 2 vets and neither took exrays.
    Why do you think your dog has displasia? the only way you CAN confirm your dog has HD is by x-ray.

If he has the hip displasia, about how much is the operation to fix it if at all possible. I just dont know what to do.
    Surgery is not always necessary with displasia. It depends of the severity of the HD, the age of the dog, etc. Often, management is all that is needed (supplementing, careful exercise, keeping the dog lean). That said, if your dog has HD you should get in contact with an orthopedic vet to plan out your options.