Incessant Barking!

Thread: Incessant Barking!

DefaultIncessant Barking!

Haley has started barking non stop when she wants something.* Usually it's about 30 minutes before "suppertime" when she barks the most.* Other times she just wants to play, but once she starts its continuous and sometimes annoying (to be honest).* She's almost 16 weeks old.* We have tried saying, "no bark" and spraying some bitter yuch on her tongue.* But, for the most part, we need a better solution.* Has anyone tried a bark collar?* Any other tips that may work?* Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Incessant Barking!

In my opinion 16 weeks is way too young for a bark collar. You do have some options tho, you can lightly spray some water onto her snout and say no barking, praise her when she stops. You can keep her on a prong collar and correct her when she barks (ONLY for those who know how to use a prong correctly) and praise her for not barking, it takes some time and great patience but most importantly you must constantly reinforce.

We have tried absolutely everything with one of my dogs, including a machine that makes an annoying sound when he barks, as well as a bark collar - NOTHING WORKED!! He's now 4 y.o. and finally understand "no barking" and is usually cooperative, but not always.

Definitely too young for an actual bark collar, although the citronella spraying versions might work. They tend not to work, but it wouldn't hurt if you are getting desperate and want to try one.

Dogs bark when they are bored, is there any chance you can walk her or otherwise make her tired before she starts her bark crazy time? I would try to avoid showing her any attention when she is barking including giving her treats when she quits barking. She is barking for attention, she is trying to get something from you and I think treats would only enforce that. I would break up the routine a little and if she does start barking (don't go for a walk after she starts, that would be another reward) I would simply put her in the crate and ignore her. When she is calm you could release her and maybe give her some more playtime to reward her for being in that calm state.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddy was a persistent barker to start with too, everytime he got put outside he would go on and on. We bought that machine thing which lets out this annoying sounds when he barks, didnt work.

THe only thing i found was just takes time, and never give in to what they want!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

The water squirt is the best idea. Or - if you can distract; give a kong or a good bone to chew.

Be sure your water bottle is on "stream" not spray.
    Brenda from Connecticut