?'s on swimming, english vs. american, & ear issues

Thread: ?'s on swimming, english vs. american, & ear issues

Default?'s on swimming, english vs. american, & ear issues

Ok, for those of tyou who responded to my posts yesterday Yuma is not named after the city.... we found his name online, its actually an Indian name that means "son of chief" My fiance (who is the Army in Afghanistan) named him, I was pretty much a "nondog" person back then..... ;D its really funny but now he sleeps with me eats from myplate (when I let him) goes everywhere possible with me - even on vacation! A bout withthe flu and a cuddly, snuggly puppy made me the dog mommy! anyway has anyone ever heard of a Lab that cannot and does not like to swim? Yuma sink straight to the bottom every time, I can be in the lake swimming around but he won't come in any deeper that his belly. we got himone of those doggy life jackets and he'll kind nervously putz around in deep water with that on but c'mon Labs are known for their love of water!!!!!

Also someone said their is no such thing as an English Lab - I know their are different styles, tall lanky and leaner, vs the smaller, boxier head, and short stalky body style. from what I have read Yuma is the latter. he is purebred and registered, he has all Yellows in his blood line also. Any comments suggestions on this?

Lastly he has a terrible time with his ears, i clean them weekly wirth stuff from the vet but he still gets buildup and he itches at them and shakes his head sometimes. I clena them out again and he is fine. the vet said his ears look great and its not mites. Any clue? any ideas on how to treat this in a better way?

By the way thanks for all the responses to my other postings and i love seeing all the great photos aren't labs just beautiful?

this is smiley Yuma ;D and our "Family" portrait!

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: ?'s on swimming, english vs. american, & ear issues

Swimming...yes I know of labs that actually have no need for water. You can work on it if you want but he'll more than likely never love it.

English/American...the correct terms are show/bench bred and field bred. Show/bench bred labs tend to have more bone and coat, including a "blockier" head and otter tail. Field bred labs tend to have less bone and coat, including a narrower head/muzzle. The majority of labs out there (even with papers) aren't actually in either of those categories but are actually "pet bred"...bred for no other reason then to make puppies.

yucky ears...what are you feeding him? Often times, reoccuring infections in the ears are due to an intolerance of an ingredient in the food...wheat, corn, soy are often culprits.

labby is offline Senior Member

Besides what Nicole said, all that ear cleaning might actually be doing more harm than good.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

Yup I have heard of Labradors that do not like water or prefer to simply wade and not take the plunge. You can help by teaching him with a life vest for dogs - one forum member here did that with his girl.

Also someone said their is no such thing as an English Lab - I know their are different styles, tall lanky and leaner, vs the smaller, boxier head, and short stalky body style. from what I have read Yuma is the latter. he is purebred and registered, he has all Yellows in his blood line also. Any comments suggestions on this?
    As Nicole stated the correct terms are "show bred" and "field bred" versus English and American although those terms are very commonly used. Your boy is adorable but he is not show bred (English). He looks to be "pet bred". Also show bred are not smaller by any means - they are shorter and stockier but have a lot of muscle and outweigh field types.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Honey Bear loves the water but not over her head. She will not swim. She'll wade in the water and really enjoy it, just won;t swim

Dani is offline Senior Member

My neighbor's lab didn't really like to swim before we met them. Once we started going swimming together, Drake wanted to go in the water with Rider. I would recommend finding a friend that has a dog that loves to swim.

As for your other question, I would concur with what everyone else said. Yuma is adorable though.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Yuma has a GREAT smile, and the three of you make a lovely family.

First of all Thank You to your fiancee for serving our country.

I think Yuma is a great name and he is one cute dog. I agree find a dog friend that loves to swim and he will be out there in no time but I would start with the vest. Cinnamon thinks swimming is what labs were meant to do other than chasing a ball and if you throw something in the lake or pool it is the best of both worlds but I did have to hold her puppy butt up in the beginning she learned to swim at 4 months old.

Go to your local feed and seed (stock shop where you get horse and cow feed) and check out the dog foods there. I suspect agree with the others what you are feeding may be causing the problem. Check the ingrediants and try something else. If you are feeding chicken and corn based try lamb and rice or fish based. The price usually balances out as these foods have less filler and you feed less.

My BR fox hound pictured below with Cinnamon is a rescue adopted in May. It has taken us 3 foods but we finally discovered she will eat a fish based product and her allergies which included ears scratching and gunk and major body scratching and patches of hair missing have cleared up.

Good Luck please keep posting and let us know how Yuma does.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My first Lab, my beloved Bess (BF, AKC bench line, 55 lbs, 1967-81) never met a body of water that she didn't want to swim in -- sometimes a problem.* She jumped in a pond and swam like a fish when she was about 5-6 months old.

My present Lab, my beloved Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01) liked to splash and wade around just as long as she kept her feet on the bottom.

While playing with other Labs that like to swim may help many Labs learn to swim, unfortunately that didn't work for Puff.* Neither did my wading out far enough in the water and calling her to me.

I tied a tough nylon kite string to a knobby training dummy (see them in http://www. gundogsupply.com and other places -- I get the 2" x 12" vinyl kind, "Lucky Dog" brand).* First I had to teach her to retrieve on land by tossing it* 25 feet or so and giving her a treat and much praise each time she grabbed it and got hauled back with it still in her mouth.* Then later, she learned to bring it back on her own and give it.

After teaching her to do that, we'd go daily to a pond and do the same thing there with me throwing it just a little farther out.* The attached string helped a lot for bringing it back when I'd thrown it too far for Puff to want to go.

Very quickly I found out why she didn't swim.* She was paddling only with her front feet, furiously, trying to keep her head above water.

So I bought a life vest for her.* That helped A LOT -- it leveled her out and she learned to use her back legs.

From May-Oct of '02, we went for swimming practice at least once and sometimes twice a day.* By the end of the summer, she was daring to swim after the TD (still tied to a string, just in case) maybe as far as 25 - 35 feet from shore.

We practiced just as often the next summer, too.

She's still not a strong swimmer.* While Bess's back and tail were visible above the surface of the water, with Puff, it's only her head, neck, and to her withers that's visible -- often just her head and neck.* Not much flotation.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks everyone for the great advice i feed him Dad's Dogfood (the plant is local) but the lean & fit becasue he tends to be a little on the chunk side and vet said to loose 6-10 lbs at last visit. He does really well on that food other than the ear thing. any particular brand / type you all would recommend? Some of the non swimmers sound just like Yuma I'll try the other friend dog swimming lessons too. but all thats visible on him when he tries to swim without the life vest is his head - sometimes not even that much! ;D