What to do for "Hot Spots"??

Thread: What to do for "Hot Spots"??

DefaultWhat to do for "Hot Spots"??

I think my computer is being slow today and I am unable to use the search feature.* I know that I have read on here about hot spots and others of you going through this with your labs.* To sum up sort of quickly-- Lexie had a tick on her neck about a week ago that we removed successfully.* She also was throwing up and having diarrea at around that time.* It lasted only about 2 days.* She has been fine since.* Last night we went for a longer walk than usual.* (She does not walk well on the leash, she pulls hard still.)* When we got home she moped all around and put herself to bed a few hours earlier than normal, but she seemed okay for the most part, I checked her over just in case.* This morning when I went to take her out, I noticed the blood.* She had scratched her neck so badly that she had a 2 inch gash that was bleeding and oozing down her neck!* Well I freaked out and my husband took her right to the vets office.* (Not our usual vet which happens to be closed on Wednesdays, go figure.)* $100 later, she has a shaved neck, some antibiotic spray that we could have bought at the pet store and the only explanation they could give us:* "It is just a hot spot.* Pretty common in the spring, but she is probably just alergic to something, but it could be from anything really.* It will probably get worse though, especially if you can't figure out what it is from."

Her neck smells really bad (probably an infection) and she keeps shaking her head and trying to rub her neck on the floor.* Other than being extra sleepy, she seems okay I suppose.* Normal appetite and normal desire to chase the cat!

Recent Relevant History:
    Changed food in early August from Purina One LB Puppy to Purina One Adult Lamb and Rice (2nd bag of same thing currently in progress)
    One frozen Kong of yogurt and banana per Mon-Fri (for the last 6 months or so)
    A couple milkbones per day (Since 9 weeks old)
    Also in early August, the vet was out of Heartgard Plus, so she is on some generic brand they had in stock (on the 2nd from that set)
    She is on K9 Advantix
    Never had any similar health concerns prior

Can anyone make a suggestion of what else I can do to keep her comfortable or confirm or deny the vets' statement?*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What to do for "Hot Spots"??

Get the hair around the spot clipped ASAP. I went through this a couple of weeks ago;

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,15511.0.html

Some good advice here. Hope this helps.

Yuma had some once and I used Listerine - regular flavor - it worked really well as he didn't like the taste and the anitseptic helped it heal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Bailey either got stung or something stuck in the side of her foot, way on the outside edge. The vet said lick granuloma which is different from a hot spot. But she said just put something on it that's bad tasting to keep her from licking. I put Gold Bond powder and it looks great already and she doesn't even touch it with the powder on it.

Thanks to Trickster for the link last week ;D

So far we are using the antibiotic spray that the vet sold us, but it looks moist to me.* According to what I have read so far, that is a bad thing.* Since it is on the side of her neck, where her collar should lay, she can't actually lick it.* However, she has been quite persistant in digging at it with her foot, especially when we were at work today.* Since we have been home with her, she trys to move her foot even sort of close to her neck, and we are both yelling "NO!" and she stops and lays down and groans.* Almost as if to say, "Geez....Fine....I won't scratch it...."* I guess time will tell.* If the spray doesn't improve it a little by this time tomorrow I guess we could try the powder.* Thank you for your suggestions and help!!* It eases this mommy's troubled mind a bit anyway....

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I was going to suggest Gold Bond too.

Angus had a hot spot I don't know, last year sometime? Anyway, it was looking pretty nasty. Very moist and raw. :-X Someone here suggested the Gold Bond powder, I used it a couple of nights, and it went away so fast it was almost unreal. I would never be without it now.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

ILoveBuddy is offline Senior Member

Buddy just got over the same kind of wound on his neck. Our vet gave him an antihystamine shot (not sure exactly which kind...I can call and ask them if you'd like me to), benadryl pills and an antibiotic. We aren't sure what the allergen was, but besides the open wound on his neck he would rub his chest bare on our artificial grass. I can understand how upsetting it is to see that bleeding sore knowing they scratched it open when you weren't looking. Good luck and I hope it clears up really soon for you

Can you get her that collar to wear that looks like a lamp shade so she cannot scratch? I am really surprised the vet did not give you one... Use the powder, keep the area as dry as possible and it should clear up quick. Kimba just had hot spots on his legs and tail and also a staph infection on his belly. We did some home remedies of shaving the hot spot area, cleaning 2X a day with a bacteria fighting solution and then applied a powder that was also antibacterial.