Advanced Obedience Class last night.......

Thread: Advanced Obedience Class last night.......

DefaultAdvanced Obedience Class last night.......

Sam and I went to the new dog class last night. I got there about 7:45 and there were MANY dogs there. Turns out that was the basic class which starts at 7. There are probably twenty in that class and she does them in shifts. Dog Ones and Dog Twos. Seemed to work pretty well.

When my class started, we walked pretty steadily with all the heeling exercises for about 35 minutes and my jammed toe (from back in August!) was very sore and stiff when I got home. I'm sure forced exercise is good for it tho.

And Sam was pretty good. Some difficulty in settling down to begin with, but once he realized that we were yet again in the "candy store" of dogs, but he wasn't allowed to play, he did about as well as I could have expected. He's not at the level the others are, but he's not so far behind that we don't belong in the class.

If I want to learn obedience like you would compete with in the ring, this is the place to be. These people know what they are doing. One of the exercises we did which I had not seen before went like this. There were eight of us. We stood all facing the same way one behind the other, with about 5 feet between us, our dogs sitting by our sides. The last person in line began weaving through the others, in and out, until she got to the front of the line where she stopped and sat her dog by her. When the last person had gone through the first couple of weaves, the next in line started, etc., so it was a continuously moving circle around the parking lot. Quite a good exercise for both heeling (because of the weaving) and distractions because we were weaving in and out of the other dogs. And Sam did it well enough. We also did figure eights where she had two people with their dogs sitting as the posts. The person doing the exercise starts in the middle of them and then heels around one, back across and around the other, making a figure eight. We had done figure eights before but never with live posts! He did okay with that also.

But not so well with some other things. He broke his down stay. His recall sits are sloppy, as is his finish. I never realized quite how sloppy until I saw the others. The trainer did tell me that I was the only really new person in the class, that the others are all repeating it, so I felt some better about it. And I'm already seeing that I've been doing things wrong, at least as far as competing goes. Double commands etc. It's like I've had a bucket of water thrown on me about how it SHOULD be done, and we're not there!!! It's rather daunting at the moment, but we'll just go one step at a time, and see if we can make some progress.....

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advanced Obedience Class last night.......

Sounds great. I never took my boys any further. Always wondered what it would have been like to try.

That sounds like a great class. the experience you described is just one of the reason I think there is only so much training you can get from a book. A book can't tell you that you are giving double commands. If you don't know you are giving double commands, how can you fix it? Another set of eyes and ears is always good....an experienced set is even better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good class. Very similar to many that I have taken. I have started going back to class taking our boy, Hud, as he's next on the plan for titles. Our class is a drop in, you just show up, and of course, the day I decide to go back, they are doing Mock shows. I had to walk Hud through as if it were a real trial. While he knows the exercises, he's very sloppy due to us not practicing...and he actually did alot better than I thought he would.

The live people in the Figure 8 is a good thing as that is how they do it at shows...

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good class.

One of the exercises we did which I had not seen before went like this. There were eight of us. We stood all facing the same way one behind the other, with about 5 feet between us, our dogs sitting by our sides. The last person in line began weaving through the others, in and out, until she got to the front of the line where she stopped and sat her dog by her. When the last person had gone through the first couple of weaves, the next in line started, etc., so it was a continuously moving circle around the parking lot.
    We did this last night with our advanced students. What a good idea!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo