McKenzie's first night at school

Thread: McKenzie's first night at school

emccase is offline Senior Member

DefaultMcKenzie's first night at school

So last night was our first session of obedience training and since McKenzie had already learned to sit, laydown and stay I thought class would be a synch. But noooo. She's so goodl at home but any time we meet someone new she's goes nuts with hysteria, wanting to romp and play with them. I spent all night wrestling with her to try to do the "moves" as the trainer instructed. It seems like she didnt get much out of it since she wasnt paying any attention. I know that working with her at home is important and we WILL be doing A LOT of work from home. Next week we're supposed to work on getting/keeping the dogs attention so hopefully we'll both learn something. Anyone have any advice for a crazy hyper dog?

Mckenzie the lab and Maddie the Mastiff wanna be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: McKenzie's first night at school

If you don't have play time before class I would play with her a little before class. Not to the point that shes tired but to the point that shes more calm!
    Dakotas first class had play time before class. Her second one did not. But she understood when we were at class she needed to watch and listen to me!
    Good luck!

The dog park is very close to where we go to school. I take Lex for a short romp in the park before class which calms her down a lot.

If your school doesn't have an organized play time before class ask some of the other dog owners if you can meet with them 20 minutes before class for play time. That way when you get into class they'll be more used to each other and ready to pay more attention.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

emccase is offline Senior Member

We didnt walk last night before class because I wasn't sure how much exercise she would actually be getting in class. Like she could ever get enough anyway ;D. I will definately try exersising her before class next time. Great ideas, thanks!

Mckenzie the lab and Maddie the Mastiff wanna be.