Do you ever leave your Lab in a vehicle?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you ever leave your Lab in a vehicle?

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you ever leave your Lab in a vehicle?

I went to the gas station a bit ago to fill up and there was a car parked close to the door, the owner just stopping for the convenience store. Anyway, there was a yellow Lab in the back seat and no one in the car. It was a very pleasant temp (about 80) and even tho the dog looked to be maybe 90 - 100 lbs, and looked well cared for, still I don't think I would leave mine alone in the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you ever leave your Lab in a vehicle?

When the weather is right - I'll leave mine in the car with plenty of ventilation. Never, ever in the heat....but cooler weather, yes.

It's never hours and hours....but I do when I do errands and even a few groceries. 9 times out of 10, I come back, and they're fast asleep. Other quick trips, and they're just watching everyone.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Kathryn Guest

There is a law here you cant leave your animal in a car if its over 75F outside.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Since I've had Brigetta the weather has never been cool enough to leave her in the car with the windows cracked, so if I have to run in somewhere really quick I'll leave the car running w/ the air on and use my spare key to lock the door- when I come back she's just sitting there hoping I have something for her. With Prudence I've left her in the car when running errands in the cooler months and she's usually curled up asleep in my seat.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Yes, I often leave Puff by herself when I run into a store to get something.

Never more than 10 minutes and, if it's hot outside, with windows rolled down.

At Lowe's & Home Depot, I put towels in the bottom of a cart and wheel her through the store.* Puff gets big grins from most of the people we meet in the aisles.

Recently I bought a second car from out of state (MO) and had to have it inspected in KS.* The officer who did the job saw Puff in the car and advised me there was a Topeka city law prohibiting leaving an animal unattended in a car.* She said THAT was passed even before a similar law prohibited leaving children unattended in a car was passed.

If I'm going to be longer than 5-10 minutes when it's HOT, I leave the engine and AC running and lock the car with a second key.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have not been brave enough to do this yet. Not even at our training club, where everyone else does it. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

That's true if you are only going to be in for a few minutes or so. And at a convenience store the owner couldnt have been in for more than a few minutes.

One of my big concerns is that since I have a Jeep Wrangler, I'd be afraid someone would come along and torment him or worse since it's basically an open air vehicle...

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

I have left Ruffy unattended a few times in winter, at night, when I'm just running into the store for a few minutes.
    Here's where Ruffy being black is a great advantage . . . he lays down in the seat, & no one can see him in the dark.

I would never advise you or anyone else to do what I do.*
    The risk is always there that someone will steal your dog.* Always.

I've done this once in a while -, but only if the weather is cool enough, I leave the window down enough to give air, but not enough for them to get out. My dogs and I travel on hunting trips and sometimes you have to stop somewhere for gas or other things like groceries. I always lock the door, but neither of my other Labs would have let anyone in the vehicle that didn't belong, although neither was in any way mean. We stopped for a meal in a small town once at a bar and sat where we could watch, the lady knew me and she came over to the table and told me he was unhappy out there and to bring him in, since heath inspectors wouldn't be around on a football Sat. She brought him some lunch cause she said he was so handsome and polite.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I also have a jeep wrangler, so if the top is off I will only leave her if I can see the vechicle. She has a harness and is hooked to the seatbelt so it would take a min. or so for someone to get her unhooked- If the top is on, I agree with the other's, cooler temp's and not much longer then 10 min's--

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast