Do you ever leave your Lab in a vehicle? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever leave your Lab in a vehicle?

DefaultRe: Do you ever leave your Lab in a vehicle?

I do but the car is always locked and if it is over 70 degrees out I leave the car running with the air on. Usually we are coming back from the lake so Oona is wet and that helps.
    Olie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I haven't taken Gannon anywhere yet but I am sure I will.

My Grandpa takes his dogs everywhere he goes, we have cool weather around here most of the time and when it's hot, well then he doesn't go anywhere most of the time. He has 2 rescues though and they are mixes so I guess there is no fear of them being stolen. (even theough they are beautiful golden/chow) As long as I can remember he has always had his dogs with him almost everywhere he went.(even his poodle when I was a kid) They have stayed in the car unatended for up to 1 1/2 hours, he eats out alot.... But like I said never when it is Hot, he always parks in the shade even when it is 65 and he leaves the windows cracked. They are in the back of his Escalade and haven't ever caused any damage, they are both about 12 years old now.

I always wonder in an open vehicle how you would take a dog. I saw one in awrangler the other day, that was just walking around from the front seat to the back and was not even leashed. I think if you want to take Tal you have to invest in a seat harness, the kind that makes them sit in the seat and belts them in nice and safe. We have a SUV and a gate thingy in the back for Gannon when he is ready to meet the world with us this winter.

Not unless I can see the dog and the car and I'm really unconfortable doing that too. Cars are stolen all the time here in Houston, with kids in them, with dogs in them, at the gas station, at the convenience store or the dry cleaners, etc. Our rescue groups gets several emails each year asking for help finding dogs that have been stolen along with the vehicle. Most of the people were out of the car for just a few minutes when it happened and one even ran out just in time to see his car being driven off.

I don't think I'll continue to do this. I'd feel totally responsible if it happened to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, quite often.

I have crates in my car and my dogs spend a lot of time in them unattended when I'm at shows, hunt test or agility trials. Much easier than hauling in and setting up crates and gear for 3+ dogs. For errands, again they're in crates so I can leave my windows all the way down and lock my car. I have an alarm so a lot of people would know if someone tried to open a door. When I bring Darwin or Piper along in the convertible, I'll leave them on a sit stay if I'm runnning in somewhere that has large windows. Puzzle and Scout have to wear seatbelt harnesses to inforce their outof "sight" stay

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Only at class, when I'm finished working w/Wes and moving on to help train w/other students. And by then, even in the heat of summer, the sun is usually down and he's fine w/the windows full open.

Mocha Guest

We take Maggie everywhere we go so she is used to the vehicle. If we have to stop we leave the car where we can see her. She is welcome in the local hardware store and downtown stores, etc. The local grocery store has even told us to bring her in so they can see her. They keep doggie treats up front! It's a pretty small town. When we take the car we put the seat down and it is pretty funny that she will crawl through to the trunk and sleep back there. Sometimes when we stop to let her out we open the trunk and people just stare at us and give us funny looks like we are keeping the dog in the trunk. She loves it back there.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

We have on numerous occasions - mostly when we are out of town and go some where to eat. We always go somewhere we can park the car and be able to see it. We never do this however if it is hot. It usually in the early morning or late/early evening and I usually will feed the dogs in the car when we go eat. They usually just lay down and sleep afterwards. Every once in a while we will come out and Moose is sitting up in the front seat. We crack the windows and again - never when it is hot or in the Sun.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Only when it's below 70 degrees and in the shade or at night for 10 mins or less. I am always paranoid that if I leave the windows cracked open someone will slip something in and feed Buck something or hurt or torment him in some way.
    I did leave him in the car with the windows rolled down and sunroof open over the summer. But I was sitting 15 feet away eating a quick lunch. So I was able to keep an eye on him.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Anne is offline Senior Member

Oh sure, all the time. BUT, only when the temperature is right (neither too hot, nor too cold), only for a few minutes AND with the windows rolled down to give proper ventilation.

I think they like it. Usually, when I return one of them is in the driver's seat and one in the passenger.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Now that it's cooled off, I'll often take one of the dogs with me to the grocery store. Last few times it was Grace. She just sits on the backseat, I have the back windows all the way down for air, and she is fine when I get back....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast